• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strange look ....

lazar

Hi marco77

The only picture of an original C-3 vest that I know is in the Maguire book “American Flight Jackets, Airmen and Aircraft” and that is also without the pocket. The only other company that reproduces the C-3 vest is ELC and they make them without the pockets.
According to the armyairforces-forum http://forum.armyairforces.com/tm.aspx? ... e=1#167724 the vest was standardized May 28, 1936, so I think it was made without the pocket, at least in the beginning.
To me the back with the chain hanger also looks a little strange , but The Few are known for their good reproductions so they probably had an original they made the pattern from.

Mathias

havocpaul

It would have been a rigger-modified jacket if based on an original, nice idea. I did ask Eastman to put a B-3 pocket on their vest for me but they won't do 'specials' unfortunately...I wanted it for dog walking early mornings.

asiamiles

lazar said:
The only picture of an original C-3 vest that I know is in the Maguire book “American Flight Jackets, Airmen and Aircraft” and that is also without the pocket.
I wonder if very few of these vests were made or if we don't see them very often because they were worn mainly under other jackets? One rarely comes across them in films either; here's a rare example from THE DESERT RATS:
desrats.jpg

BONNIEGIRL4

Just finished going through The Few site, beautiful jackets, unfortunately they seem to have departed from making any semblance of an accurate repro - TOM

John Lever

That vest looks like n American one it has one of those 'open' seams only seen on US jackets.
Tom, I get your point about the Few, but they are great anyway.
Paul, I'm sure Aero would make a pocket version for you.

John Lever

asiamiles said:
John Lever said:
That vest looks like n American one it has one of those 'open' seams only seen on US jackets.

John, the vest was issued to US pilots, not Brits.

My point exactly. Why is a Desert Rat wearing one ?
Incidently, some were billeted in this very house where I live, in WW2

asiamiles

John Lever said:
My point exactly. Why is a Desert Rat wearing one?
Although it's about British troops, it's a Hollywood movie, and if it looks good...not that a British film would necessarily have been more accurate in the costuming department.