• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Straightened Out G&F M-422A

Maverickson

Hi All,

As an avid vintage jacket collector, I'm aware of several schools of thought as concerning vintage jacket restoration. My concern has and continues to be centered around doing what is best to make any particular jacket serviceable while attempting to keep it as authentic as possible.

My latest restoration project of a G&F M-422A which I just completed is a good case in point. I have several photos seen below of this same jacket in various stages of completion from start to finish . This jacket was originally purchased by another VLJ member in the condition seen directly below.

BazalotFront-2.jpg
BazelotsLining-2.jpg

This same G&F jacket was professionally refurbished local to the previous owner. Although some upgrades were made at that time some and through no fault of the owner some significant mistakes were made by that shop. If you look closely, those more significant mistakes included attaching the waist knits inside out and giving the zipper box extensions where the waist knits attach ended up with two extra rows of stitches.

GFFront.jpg
Aphou074.jpg

In an effort to straighten out those mistakes I took it upon myself to try and bring this jacket back to what I consider to be acceptable wearer. That work included changing out the mouton collar, lining and correctly attaching all knits. Since this jacket has had multiple sets of knits previoulsy attached and in an attempt to ensure the integrity of the jacket & where ever possible, most of this work was done by hand. In essence, in refurbishing this jacket, I tried to utilize as many of the original stitch holes as possible and nearly impossible to pay someone to do. The final look of my jacket as seen below.

DSCN1442.jpg
DSCN1451.jpg

Lining-1.jpg
DSCN1488.jpg

DSCN1490-1.jpg
DSCN1446.jpg

DSCN1483.jpg
DSCN1484.jpg

DSCN1480.jpg
DSCN1482.jpg

Cheers, Dave

bazelot

Whoaaa...... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I tend to want to keep as much of the original material as possible on a jacket but I have to admit this is superb. I think I want it back now :)
This jacket is a perfect wearer now. The leather being so supple and in such great shape, no reproduction jackets will come close to that. I am glad to finally see pictures of the finished product it was worth the wait.

Maverickson

Hi Dean,

Hi Dean,

No, an L-2B does not require the same detail to make a good job. In fact, I used nylon jackets like your L-2B for machine practice and then gradually graduated to leather work. Not to mention, my workmanship has improved and I wanted to demonstrate the painstaking care I used when attaching the collar with these next pics.

DSCN1493.jpg
DSCN1494.jpg
DSCN1492.jpg

As I was even able to lineup the old stitch holes into the exact postion to perfectly attach the loop hanger into the same position. Even Aero was not able to achieve this degree of accuracy with any of my jackets when they replaced my collars!

Cheers, Dave

bazelot

Collars look like they are tricky to replace (too many parts involved). i am tempted to change it on one of my M-422As but it would probably be easier to send it to you :)