• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve McQueen Buzz Rickson

Steve H

Picked up this McCoys Steve McQueen "Rickson" figure a while back- he sits on my mantel now and I think he's kinda cool! 13" high;

633477657_o_zps8cbaca44.jpg

633477665_o_zpscadfbdc7.jpg

633477667_o_zps450330d6.jpg

633477658_o_zps691a0716.jpg

kiltie

You gotta build a model of a Mustang Fastback now, and place it near enough as to imply that's what he's walking toward.

MikeyB-17

That's pretty cool-I'm impressed with the attention to detail, down to the hanger stitching on the back of his A-2. What's it made of?

A

Anonymous

MikeyB-17 said:
I was at work when I asked that, where we can't access Ebay.
I don't have access, until later, maybe a plactic stone mix.

Jeff M

There are better, more authentic A2 jacket sculptures out there.
The jacket looks too tight on him across the shoulders..
Don't like the quality of the clay. :mrgreen:

Vcruiser

Jeff M said:

Well..at least the stitch count is right... :cool:

A

Anonymous

Jeff M said:
Must be one of those Aero clay jackets.

a2jacketpatches

MikeyB-17 said:
That's pretty cool-I'm impressed with the attention to detail, down to the hanger stitching on the back of his A-2. What's it made of?
This would be a 2 part epoxy resin with a powdered stone additive. An original was sculpted out of the artists preferred medium, then a silicone mold was made. Usually, 2 equal parts of A & B (resin and hardener) are mixed, poured into a mold, put in a sealed chamber while a vacuum pump removes all air bubbles. Other components are available depending on the qualities needed. Microscopic glass bubbles make a super light casting but is tough to vacuum. The silicone rubber allows for super detail on multiple casts where a rigid type of casting compound would be good for one and break up as the casting was removed.

I worked for a few years sculpting and casting back in the early 90's. Back then it was moving along steadily with new products and components coming out all the time. But I'm sure it's still the same basic process.