• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Plowin - Jacket Art

442RCT

A Vintage Leather Jackets Forum member posted his collection of original A-2 jackets, one of the jackets had the artwork, "Spring Plowin".
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7120
I really liked the artwork on the jacket so I commissioned a jacket artist to reproduce it.

The picture of the original jacket:
SpringPlowin_original01.jpg

The reproduced artwork on my jacket:
SpringPlowin_06.jpg

SpringPlowin_03.jpg

SpringPlowin_02.jpg

SpringPlowin_05.jpg

The artist, Mike, normally paints with acrylics. I asked him to see if he could paint a 'weathered' looking jacket back, like the jacket in the original. He said he'd give it a go.
Mike experimented with various techniques and found that it was difficult to artificially age acrylic paint.
He decided to paint with enamel and use a 'weathering' coat over the paint. He said, with the thin enamel paint, it would naturally develop the patina of crazing found on old paint jobs.
I've got to say, I'm really happy with the results. :D ;)

dujardin

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh splendid

i know this jacket; i already saw her in real.
fantastic "nose-art" painted on a back.

great you request a copy, enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

marcel

deand

The style of pin-up artwork is terrific, and his rendition of it is faithful and dynamic! Very Nice!

dean

Jaguar46

Its very very good. Slight differences in detail, like at the base of the Nazi 'stika which is block shaped, with some grass poking out around it.

Nit picking. The original was a superb piece to start with.

442RCT

Mike will appreciate your comments. Recently I've been working with a couple of jacket artists and Mike by far has the fastest turn around time. I mailed him my jacket just before I went on vacation and he sent me the jacket a week after I returned. :D The fact that Mike experimented with enamel paint before painting my jacket, makes the turnaround time even more amazing.

If anyone wants to contact Mike for a paint job on a jacket, PM me.

bombs away

Hello,

Hey but that's my jacket ! :mrgreen:

Very nice work, congrats to Mike.

You should have asked me for more pics, it might have helped Mike to be he closest as possible to the original.

Just a few pics to compare (and admit that the copy is really good).

5223724246_f3931aee82_b_d.jpg

5223718436_6ba52f4f3d_b_d.jpg

5223731566_46522265f9_b_d.jpg

Tim

Andrew

Very nice, however Tim's posting of these shots has confirmed for me that there's one major detail that's not quite been successfuly captured :cool:. Guess.

442RCT

bombs away said:
Hello,

Hey but that's my jacket ! :mrgreen:

Very nice work, congrats to Mike.

You should have asked me for more pics, it might have helped Mike to be he closest as possible to the original.

Just a few pics to compare (and admit that the copy is really good).

Tim

I wish I'd have thought of asking you for more detailed pics, Mike told me he had to use a magnifying glass to get some of the details and had to guess at other details. One of the details was the word between { EUROPEAN THEATRE __ OPERATIONS }, he knew it was, OF , but not exactly how it was painted.

I'll have look at what Andrew noticed was missing from the copy... :cry:

Andrew

Sorry, I didn't mean something's missing, just a geometry that appears a little more generous on the original... lets say a focal point ;) - but then that may just be the angle of the shot of yours.

deand

Andrew said:
Sorry, I didn't mean something's missing, just a geometry that appears a little more generous on the original... lets say a focal point ;) - but then that may just be the angle of the shot of yours.

The swastika looks to be not dimensional especially in the foreground on the copy jacket image, and the green shoots from the ground are absent.

dean

Vcruiser

Andrew said:

ThelmaThunderThighs was a cornfed farmgirl from Des Moines..I think... :cool: