• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sporty's A2's and G1's? Or?

CSG

New guy here and thanks to John at Good Wear for helping to get my account activated. I have an old Protech A2 I bought about 20 years ago. It's getting a bit snug around the middle (it's a 42) and I've been looking around for a replacement. Prior to that A2, I had a 50's era G1 that was snug from the getgo and I long ago sold that one too. I want to get one or both styles and while I admire greatly, John's passion and work, am not sure I want to devote upwards of a grand for an extremely accurate WWII style A2. I just like the styles as sportswear and every last stitch or collar point shape is not of the same concern to me as someone going for absolute authenticity.

So, other than Gibson and Barnes, whose prices are reasonable and seem to be well thought of here by many, how do we feel about Sporty's offerings? I see their A2 is imported but the G1 is said to be made in the US of "imported" materials. They are a little over $200 and have a great return policy (when I was flying, Sporty's was *the* place to shop).

I don't know who else offers something of good quality that's cut to fit well (I'm 6' and go between 185-195# depending on my personal discipline). I read very mixed things about US Wings and US Authentic. Also wondered about this G1 through Best Glide: http://www.bestglide.com/g1_navy_flight_jacket_z2108.htm

Thanks for any guidance. BTW, I did read through this forum last night to get a sense of what others thought.

Chris

C.J.

I bought a G-1 from US Authentic that was made to look like an M-422a and it was just TERRIBLE, really, I just can't find anything good to say about it. I did have an A-2 from US Authentic though that wasn't bad. It was thick and took a long time to break in, but it wasn't a bad jacket, at all.

CSG

Well, just got off the phone with Sporty's and their "Made in USA" G1 is actually made in Pakistan according to the gal who pulled one to give me more info.

Any of you know about CockpitUSA quality? So far, it seems like G&B is my best bet.

A

Anonymous

Well sporty's return policy is first rate. I still fly and order from them all the time. I have a G/B G-1 and its fine, good value and all that crap. I think I read that sporty jackets are ok, well built, real mouton, zippers and knits are strong unlike euro expensive ass repros, plus they dont look like euro copies. But...Sporty's are made in Pakistan. Might be ok if your name is obama but I would never buy/wear one. For all you know some taliban might have made it! The jacket you showed is made by avirex. I would try it as long as you could return it if it does not make you happy. Enjoy the search, its all good.

Atticus

Hi Chris. I've followed your thread about this subject over on the hat lounge. As you probably know, the G-1 is a fairly complicated design when compared to the A-2. Just my opinion, but I would think that it would be difficult to reproduce a high-end G-1 that is price competitive with the excellent originals that are still on the market. I know this is why John at Goodwear doesn't reproduce G-1s. You may be faced with a choice between a reasonably-priced jacket that is of lower quality than a good original, or a high-quality repro that costs $400 more than a very good vintage G-1.

If such turns out to be true, I think I'd choose the original.

AF

fishmeok

I've got a size 46 Sporty's ANJ-3A I'd let go for cheap if you are interested.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN1951.jpg

CSG

A couple of those hat forum guys are a little short fused. I keep looking at ebay for originals and never seem to find anything appropriate. Lot's of the used G1's look pretty dang used. I need a 44r (probably) and haven't seen too many in that size either. The thing is, although I'm a former pilot (guess I'm still a pilot, just not current), I'm not too hung up about getting an "issue jacket". I've decided I want to stick to a military pattern (not the civvy version) and I prefer things new.

Between Averix/CockpitUSA ond G&B, is there a clear concensus as to who makes a better product? Bestglide is claiming that the Cockpit product is current issue to the navy.

Jason

Just to throw another stone into the pool, how about Cooper...? They produce both the A-2 and G-1. Cheap, made in USA, and you could source them new (though the price some outlets sell them for would be over-inflated), but honestly a hardly-worn or lightly-worn Cooper from the late 80s or early 90s would be far better, as their patterns and build quality started to slip after then. And being second hand, it would be cheaper still.
I know a lot of people groan when they hear Cooper, but their USAF issue A-2 (from 1988 to early 90s) is actually quite nice. The non-issue civillian market made A-2 at this time was pretty much the same as the USAF issue. After this period, the 'civillian' A-2 become a dumbed-down version that was blousy, uses lower quality fittings, and isn't quite as well put together.
The general consensus is that with the Cooper G-1 (not the older 70s synthetic fur lined, hand-warmer pocket version), they didn't appear to have any major variations (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and seems to be made with nice goatskin and on its own merits is a good product.

Jaydee

Cooper, I guess, is still momentarily out of production on jackets. They have been for over a Year. I owned the Cockpit G-1 you are talking about. It was close to a C Series G-1 (1964-66ish) I own. It did however, run a size big. The 40 I got fit like a 42. The stitching and pattern were both good. The Goatskin was nice, really soft but not exactly like a G-1. The color is close, but the surface is dull and lacks the tough glossy finish found on G-1s. It must be a different tanning process they use on the leather. The knits are not military spec but they are close. I don't think they are 100% Wool, and the ribbing pattern and color are close but not exact. The zipper is a YKK, nice solid brass, but the wire on the puller is tiny and cheap. If you replaced just the wire part, and threw on a leather strip, it would Mil Spec. The Mouton is super nice. The softest on the neck by far I have ever felt. If you button the neck strap, it's like a mink turtle neck! I found it too be a solid quality jacket, but not quite Military Spec.
Photos: Click to Enlarge - Back Button to Come Back

hacker

wing nut said:
But...Sporty's are made in Pakistan. Might be ok if your name is obama but I would never buy/wear one. For all you know some taliban might have made it!.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...I think the same people who handle IBM's 1-800 hotline make these over there during slow periods..... ;)

Hacker

Vcruiser

CSG said:
Between Averix/CockpitUSA ond G&B, is there a clear concensus as to who makes a better product? Bestglide is claiming that the Cockpit product is current issue to the navy.

Of the three brands...I would recommend G&B by far over the others. I don't own one....but have friends that do...and are very satisfied. Trying them on...I considered them nice for the price though of more modern fit than what I'm used to.
I visited US Wings and looked at their A2s...including the Cockpit A2. The US Wings A2 was a blousey fit with a muddy paintedlike smooth finish and thin hide. The Cockpit had thicker hide with more charactor and a somewhat trimmer fit...but not in league with G&B...IMO. I also tried their G-1s and neither brand comes close to a '50s-'60s original G-1. If you have the patience..I would still suggest keeping an eye out on eBay for a G-1. If not..a G&B G-1 ain't bad for the price.
Van

CSG

Like I say, I'm not so much interested in buying a used jacket from ebay or anywhere else. I prefer new and it's for daily wear so a collectible is not as desirable to me as some of you guys.

CBI

I really do think eBay will be the place to get a real G-1. You mentioned you are a size 44R. That's my size. For a G-1 consider a 46 since they tend to run small. I have seen quite a few 46's on the bay. I guess if you are wanting a newer looking one, that changes things but for many (including me) the wear is what really brings these jackets to life.

I already said most of this over at the FL, but I'll also say it here:

Cooper is definitely gone, out of business. But there's some evidence that their NJ factory now produces house-brand current-style military jackets for US Wings, Legendary USA, American Mystique, and others. There are other makers who do actually make their own jackets - in terms of current-spec and faux-traditional, Cockpit (Avirex) and Schott come to mind. Taylor Leatherware is another US-based maker, primarily of police jackets, who also make A-2s and G-1s... Actually, there are many jacket manufacturers out there who dabble in military aviation jackets, with varying results.

US Authentic is a garage-based boutique operation making budget repros that aren't bad for the price - they don't make current-spec, but will add handwarmers if you want 'em.

And I won't get into the premium repro makers here, that's another kettle of fish altogether...

I think the standout American maker for current-style (and current cut) jackets is Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes. Solid, well-made products for reasonable prices. I've got two of their jackets, and like 'em a lot. They're definitely a notch up in quality from the NJ-made batch.

CSG, since I think you said that you live a mere ninety minutes from Flight Suits, you should definitely take a ride over and check 'em out! Trying them on - and seeing if they've got something on their clearance rack that's right for you - is definitely the way to go.

CSG

I live in southern Idaho, G&B is in San Diego. It's actually around 900 miles. Maybe 90 minutes by F-16. ;)

Point is, it's going to have to be mail order no matter what.

A

Anonymous

I had a sporty's A-2 the pockets seamed a little on the small side. For the price about as good as a Cooper or Avirex.

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, CGS,

I own four G&B jackets - 2 A-2s, an M-422a and a AN-J-3 (horsehide custom made without the epaulets and outside windflap.

For the money - they're probably the best bang for the buck.

Look in the reviews section ans if I remember correctly I have a short review on each.

The only consideration when ordering is you may want to go down a size as they run a little large.

The beauty of G&B is that they will allow returns / exchanges on standard off the shelf jackets so the only thing your out is about $20.00 shipping if you return and reorder.

But at least you'll have the correct size.

For that matter you could order two jackets and return one - that way you get to check both sizes against each other.

You'll find their service people are excellent.

Bill French