• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

splendid photos of US NAVY crew SQ24 BLIMPS

dujardin

searching info and photos about crew men of US Navy blimps unit, i discover those SPLENDID photos on FLICKR.COM.
i found +- 25 great shot, take 5min; you would'nt regret ...
photos of great quality with some good close-up (details)
here we gooooooooo

image.jpg

sq24K28.jpg

sq241.jpg

sq2410.jpg

sq2411.jpg

sq2412.jpg

sq2413.jpg

sq2414.jpg

sq2415.jpg

sq2416.jpg

sq2417.jpg

sq2418.jpg

sq2419.jpg

sq242.jpg

sq2420.jpg

sq2421.jpg

sq2422.jpg

sq2423.jpg

sq2424.jpg

sq243.jpg

sq244.jpg

sq245.jpg

sq246.jpg

sq247.jpg

sq248.jpg

sq249.jpg

sq24.jpg

hope you enjoyed your 5min

byeeeeeeee marcel

greyhound52

Great photos. My Dad was on the USS Lexington in 1934 when one of these (Akron??) went down off the coast of California and he was involved in the rescue effort.

greyhound52

zoomer said:
It was Macon that went down off Cali, in 1935, not far from Monterey.
But wow - did he tell any stories about that day?

Article about underwater exploration of wreck
Yes he did and thanks for jogging my memory of it. He talked about being in a rescue boat fishing in the wreakage looking for survivors and picking up a body or two. There is a lighthouse not far from Carmel which has a museum in there documenting the event. Dad even had a piece of the blimp which got loss in our many moves. I can remember the silver color of the piece.

Bluebottle

Fantastic photos!

What was the significance of the numbers on the back of the jackets? My Pritzker has something similar.

sq2424.jpg

MikesCoat_1a.jpg

Maverickson

Marcel

I enjoyed the navy related photographs. In particular this photo of the blimp and the light carrier USS Barnes. My father's friends told me stories of flying off of these small carriers like the one you posted. Interesting to note, this type of carrier used the smallest hull in the United States Navy to be used for a carrier. These particular carrier's used the hull of of an oiler. In addition, the abundant navy type flight jackets seen in the photographs illustrate just how many jackets were used within the service.

image.jpg

Coincidentally, Clint Eastwood used a carrier exactly like this as prop in a Dirty Harry movie " Magnum Force" where following an on board motor cycle chase through and across two flatops Inspector Harry Callahan was heard to exclaim, " A man's got to know his limitations".