• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Species of sheep for sheepskin/shearling

mstevey

Hello All, new member here. I have a question about the various species of sheep that were used for sheepskin/shearling jackets by the US and the UK (and Commonwealth) during WW2. Is there a post on this topic already or can someone point me to a decent resource?

Thank you,

Michael

B-Man2

If you’re really not trying to punk us with your question … here’s the most accurate answer I can give you . It was wartime, supplies and resources were limited . When shearling was needed the respective governments purchased what was available. Whatever would get the contracts completed. If you look at period jackets that fact is evident. Shearling jackets were white , yellow, tan, and brown. Particularly UK jackets . US jackets were mostly white , yellow, and light tan shearling .
Regards
B-Man2

mstevey

It was a sincere question. I'm interested in the actual species of sheep, such as Merino, Devon, etc. that were used at various times throughout the war. I've seen pics that suggest the Brits and Americans had different approaches to their shearling, no doubt driven by wartime expediency.

B-Man2

Ok … and you are correct with regard to the Brits using Merino and Devon shearling for their jackets . American B-3s , B-6s, D-1s etc simply used breeds such as Columbia and American Tunis sheep for the most part , but that’s just my opinion as I’m not an authority on sheep breeds .

John Lever

I think one of the main factors to consider was that skins from actual adult sheep were used as opposed to some lambskins used today. Adult sheep can grow to very large sizes and have correspondingly thick skin.
I have had boxes of skins from Fenland where some skins were very small almost poodle sized.

Smithy

Honest attempt to answer your question...

In regards to UK fleeces at the time so for Irvin jackets and trousers, I think there's a good chance that a large number were made with fleece from Romney flocks. That's based on how prominent the breed was/is and the appearance of the fleece.

With that said I'm not an expert but back home my family has 3 sheep and cattle stations and the sheep on them are Romney Cross.