• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorry ignorant question

A

Anonymous

What really are the differences between M422 and G-1?

Anyone can give a short list please?

johnwayne

It's not an ignorant question at all - the M442 and M442a are the predesessors of the G1.
The shell of the jacket is common but the pockets vary as do the linings and collars. There was period where hybrid versions taking elements of both were produced ie early G1's have scalloped pocket flaps like all M442/a's whereas later G1's you'll see are just a slight curve to almost stright edge. All M442/a's have a real mouton fur collar, slightly more pointed and of varing shades of golden brown to rusty red (allowing for fading etc) as do most early G1's but they took on a more rounded shape in the 60's (I think) plus the faux/synthetic fur collars were introduced that all tend to be a darker brown.
The other most noticable difference is that the left hand pocket (when wearing it) on an M442/a is slightly wider than the right with an obvous stichline down to enable a pen/cil to be easly inserted. Most M442/a's original linings were a satin burgundy lining, G1's vary in colour from brown/greenish colours.
I think thats about it but I'm sure other forum members can add to this if you need.

Cheers
Wayne

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The M422 is longer in the body ... other variations as the design evolved, were as much between the individual makers, as those that were governed by changes to the specs.