• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something different: Charkow Parka 2nd pattern

Enigma1938

Not a flight jacket nor made from leather but vintage anyway.
I just thought I could to a thread about my Charkow Parka Replica.
When it is cool I can wear an A2, a G1 or a Cyclist jacket for example... when it is colder I can wear a B10 or a N1 jacket when it's even colder i can wear a B3 or a Irvin but when it is REALLY cold I can wear this beast. It's truly made for some rough climate.

This Parkas were originally developed in early 1942 for the Waffen SS fighting at the eastern front in Russia, because it turned out that the already existing winter clothing can not provide the needed protection against the harsh environment of a Russian winter. Because this Parkas have shown up at the front in the battle of charkow 1942 first they have become its name the charkow parka.
There were 3 types of this coats. The first one was just half buttoned so you had to pull it over, the second one like this here was buttoned throughout for easier putting on / off, and the third one was made from Italian camouflage fabric instead of the former field grey ones.
This coats were quite popular with the allies also, there are plenty of photo evidence showing US soldiers and officers wearing those coats.

There are plenty of makers out there doing reproductions of this parkas but if you take this serious most of their creations are crap. Either the material is plain wrong, or the cut is wrong .... even premium makers like SM wholesale have a few inaccuracies like the chest pockets in this case.
Some time ago I was surfing through the Internet and suddenly stumbled over a advertisement in etsy.com showing what seems to be a pretty accurate charkow parka. After closer inspection it turned out that it is made from a little polish two man company which are doing mainly medieval stuff but also a few ww2 repros.
The parka they offer has all the Details true to originals like real rabbit fur lining, the cut is remarkably good and even things like the pocket lining matches original ones.
The thing isn't cheap but I wanted such a parka for a long time so I pulled the trigger.

You have to bear in mind that this is originally made as an overcoat so the generally cut is big and roomy. If you plan to wear it as an overcoat so it is true to size, if you want to wear it as normal jacket over a sweater for example you have to size down.

This coats are made from a pretty sturdy cloth (same as german tent sheets) but not uncomfortable. The Lining is made from real rabbit fur (originals were made with rabbit, sheep, fox etc. whatever was available).
The hood is huge because it was meant to be worn comfortably over a helmet.
The lower pockets are lined with wool and rabbit also so your hands stay warm even in the greatest cold.
There is a special system to button up the front in a sandwich like style to prevent wind and cold blow through. Also there are inner sleeve cuffs with elastics to do the same.
The waist area is tightened by an elastic strap sewn in just like originals had (most repro makers use a cloth strap or drawstring to tighten it up but that's plain wrong).
The quality of this polish made replica is outstanding and well worth the money.
All I did by myself was changing the buttons to original wartime ones.
Yes the days when it is cold enough to wear this coat are limited here, but when the temperatures drop below zero it is a pleasure to wear it.
20230326_100726.jpg
20230326_101136.jpg
20230326_100750.jpg
20230326_100957.jpg
20230326_101010.jpg
20230326_101102.jpg
20230326_101222.jpg

Last edited: