• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

ausreenactor

Dudes of the Day..

media-18546.jpeg

CAPT Halsey grabbed one size too large... at least.. Or he dropped the weight in London? On the beer, on his pay.. yeah, nah.

B-Man2

Greg
That’s amazing. I have no idea how your doing the colorization but man... that looks good. The colors are spot on with the uniforms so I’m guessing her dress would be spot on color wise as well.

Smithy

@Smithy , despite her mourning, do you think she could have worn a blue dress? It's just too light for black, I've tried but it didn't work:

Could be Greg. Maybe grey or a charcoal colour are possibilities also?

Looks great though, you're getting to be quite a whizz at this colourisation stuff!

taikonaut

Not really. There was a war on so there was rationing, but also people didn't stuff their faces 24/7 back then. There was also bugger all processed food and people on the whole did a lot more physical activity than most today.

So I'm right they are thin back then.

At my workplace there is probably one young guy between 18-28 that probably has the built of these WW2 servicemen. The others of the same age group are reasonably fit and goes to the gym often are all muscular. They will have a job squeezing their arms through the hole of these jackets

Last edited:

Smithy

Another interesting fact about modern male physiques in the developed world compared to those during WWII is chest size. Chest size can be significantly bigger now. Interestingly from a training and exercise perspective the bench press only really started to become popular after the war and from around the mid to late 50s on. Coincidence or a contributing factor?

Smithy

I make 4 at first glance :)

Interestingly they're only A-2s, none of the B-10s seem to carry squadron patches. The 4th didn't go in for squadron patches in a big way like many other groups and I have wondered if some of this was a filtering down from Don Blakeslee who was arguably the most influential leader of the 4th. He wasn't big on ostentation.

Brettafett

I love this pic! Thank you!
I have recently finished a couple of really good books on the 357th and they seem to have loved their squadron patches.