• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

B-Man2

It's amazing how quickly the 4th took up the B-10 Burt. Photos show they were very keen on swapping their A-2s for B-10s and in short order. There were a few guys who held onto their A-2s and kept using them operationally but the majority did seem to change over to the B-10 in short order.
Understandable considering the warmth of the B-10 vs the A2. But I bet those guys were all “Smooth” enough characters to cut a few corners and trade a few cartoons of cigarettes or some other prized commodities so they could keep their A2’s and still acquire their B-10s . They just seem like a cool bunch of “dudes”.

ausreenactor

B-10s are a more practical jacket.

Cost comparison would be interesting too. For the sake of filling out a form keeping an A-2 would have been easy. But that extra jacket was one more item in the footlocker to keep secure and ship home.

Smithy

Realised that we haven't had a Dude of the Day for awhile and also that I'd promised to post the photo of 334 from 1/1/1945 to go with the 335 and 336 Sqns' photos from that day.

A little overdue but better late than never!

Click on the pic for larger image...

JFq341J.png

B-Man2

Oh man !
Just looking at that photo makes you think about what their lives must have been like and how they dealt with the stress of combat and how they looked at life. Sort of f—-k it , Live for today because who knows how tomorrow will turn out.

Smithy

I think that was very true for a large proportion of airmen, and fighting men in general Burt.

I can remember one Spit pilot telling me that they used to "fly into it" when it came to drinking. They were young men too and alcohol was a necessary source of stress release for many.

It's also amazing how many WWII fighter pilots talk about how good oxygen was at getting rid of hangovers. Seemed to work wonders at putting you back on an even keel after a hard night on the sauce.

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

I don't know why exactly but I find this image haunting. Maybe because this guy was only with the 4th for a month before being KIA near Budapest on a mission on the 2 July 1944. The photo itself isn't very good quality but to me there's something about the eyes and the look on his face.

Anyway, Lt Thomas Sharp of 334 with his P-51B. RIP.

media-6675.png

ausreenactor

He got a night's sleep and a hot breakfast in? Poor old crew chief was up all night getting the bird ready! And the crew chief has to try and get some rest in, not knowing if the will see if 'his' aircraft comes back. ;)

Bombing IP

Allen Franklin Bunte

1st Lt Allan F Bunte was one of the few pilots who had been married prior to assignment to the 4th Fighter Group. Assigned to 335th Fighter Squadron, transferred to 334th Fighter Squadron.
On 5 April 1944 his P-51B Mustang hit high-tension wires near Gardelegen, causing the fighter to burst into flames. Bunte ditched in a nearby lake, knocking himself unconscious. The Mustang sank, but Bunte came to in time to release himself and bob to the surface. After paddling to the shore in his dinghy, Bunte was captured and became a POW. MACR 3609.

Source / http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/6342

Jeff