• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some new nylon at last. Patched D model MA-1

Peter Graham

I recently recieved this MA-1. The condition is pretty near perfect bar a tiny moth nip in the collar. Before buying it I consulted with a nylon expert on the forum who reckoned that all the patches are original. After examining it, I would agree. The 22nd TFS of the 26th TFW was assigned to Bitburg AFB under the command of US Air Forces in Europe. The C&C and Crown zippers work perfectly and add a touch of quality to the jacket. It fits a bit larger than my Buzz Lion MA-1. The arms are maybe slightly on the long side but that's fine as it will be a good winter wearer with room for a heavy sweater. It came with the original owners Flight Ace cap but unfortunately I don't have a name. I've emailed the seller for more info, so fingers crossed. I'm really thrilled with this jacket. It could not be nicer.
ma1008.jpg

ma1007.jpg

ma1006-1.jpg

ma1005-1.jpg

ma1001-1.jpg

ma1004-1.jpg

watchmanjimg

Outstanding, Peter! I knew this would turn out to be a good one for you. May you wear it in good health!

Peter Graham

I got an email from the seller. The original owner was called Dick Eustace who was a pilot stationed at Bitburg AFB in the 60's. Result !

Willy McCoy

Great jacket and nice patches. I can't remember if it was on the old forum or this new one but there were great photo's from this unit.

Weasel_Loader

I've laid off the jackets for the last year or so. Still lurk the forum to check out all the latest goodies and keep tabs on what's going on in the flight jacket world. Can't wait for winter! :)

Willy McCoy

It's always good to see you guys. The pictures I saw of that squadron was the L-2bs. One guy had a riggered pocket on his right sleeve just above the cuff. The patches alone on your jacket are worth a lot. Please don't get me started on nylon again. Vintage Levis and an L-2b is a great combination.

Weasel_Loader

Here ya go. 22FS with red name tape and Thud patch. 23FS with blue tapes and Thud patch. Both squadrons still active today as Wild Weasels at Spangdahlem AB, Germany with the 52nd FW. BTW, the 22FS patch is the one that is worth nice sum. The 36th and USAFE patches are pretty common.

Bitburg105Change.jpg

Peter Graham

Thanks for the pic Danny. The second guy on the left seems to have a pocket added to the lower right sleeve of his L-2B. A theatre added modification I presume ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
There was a discussion about that picture once before .... guess it was the old forum.

rb3586

It is a early SDU strobelight/long blue IR shield pocket. A VN era flight systems command field test, if I recall it properly.

Check out the SEA leather backed suit/jacket patches, if you didn't see them the last time around.