• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, why were jackets re-dyed?

mulceber

So, my understanding about re-dying, from what I've picked up here (and I could have totally misunderstood something) was that jackets were re-dyed during the war when someone had died (or been critically injured, I guess) and his gear was judged to be in good enough condition to be re-issued. But I was reading in Gary Eastman's book, and found that he says redying was a phenomenon after the war when the US government tried to get whatever use they could get out of jackets that had never been dyed, but didn't like the fact that the old russet A-2s had been prone to staining. I thought my initial understanding of redyes must have been completely wrong, but then I've recently seen people talking about war-time redyes, which don't seem to be what Eastman is talking about - I can't imagine the AAF cared that much what jackets looked like while the war was on. So I thought I'd ask the internet's flight jacket brain trust what the situation was with jacket re-dyes.

B-Man2

Ok .. First off ... definitely not part of the brain trust :)
Just a good ol boy trying to get by and learn as I go.. !
Here’s what I think I know .... Sometime around 1943 I believe, the USAAF decided to coordinate the various colors of Russett and Seal A2s they had in their stockpiles, as there had developed quite a number of different shades of A2’s from the different contractors making those jackets. So as the jackets were turned in for refurbishment to the depots they were redyed a standard dark seal brown for uniformity.
that’s all I got ! :D

Micawber

My understanding was that it was done to rejuvenate jackets that had been issued, used, turned in for whatever reason then sent mainly to base depot for inspection / repair / rectification and reissue. Dark seal was applied to consolidate appearance, protection and finish + decal applied before the garment was inspected before re-entering the supply chain.

RB25

I have always wondered this as well. Makes sense to overhaul a jacket and give it a fresh look, knits and any other repairs if needs to get it back and re issued. I also wonder if this was common after the B-10 and B-15s started getting issued to the crews.

foster

Airplanes have a lot of fluids inside them. I've seen originals in russet with stains that could have been from various oils or even from rain. Darker seal tends to mute that, and can cover up older stains on russet jackets. I thought this was why they started changing the color originally, but I could be mistaken.