• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Sad

ZuZu

Wow this is ugly. Top notch pilots- really ugly jackets! Why not spend the extra $200 per jacket and get something nice? Side entry? Ergh!
BlueAngels2_1000x1000.jpg

B-Man2

I really doubt that this is an issued jacket but rather a private purchase one . I have a late issue G-1 that’s marked and the collar is dark dark brown and rounded and there are definitely no side entry pockets.

Last edited:

Wallie

Unfortunately it seems to be a issued jacket, at least for the Blue Angels. If you look around on their Facebook page you can find a lot of pictures with different persons wearing the same jacket, unflattering sizing and side entry pockets. Legendary USA claims they supply the BA and offer the jacket on their website.

B-Man2

This is probably by contractual agreement . The BA agree to wear their jackets and let them list photos for something in return . I’m certain that these are not original USN governmental issue jackets with an NSN stock number. If they were issued and in the USN procurement system the jackets would need to have contract labels as the ones pictured in my last post . The jackets don’t even have the USN perforations on the wind flap. Legendary USA is located in Exton Pa and they have a shop there . They have no government or USN contracts that I’m aware of .

Last edited:

Flightengineer

This is a worldwide trend unfortunately. The beauty of clothes of the 40s-50s-60s has irrevocably gone (in flight clothes and not only in it). The same thing happened with Soviet flight jackets, they degraded from cool iconic jackets into a frankly shapeless leather blanket with a zipper.
However, there is another point, most pilots (at least those that I knew) didn't care, they are very far from discussing the patterns, cut and aesthetics of any clothing, including flight jackets.

Wallie

This is probably by contractual agreement . The BA agree to wear their jackets and let them list photos for something in return . I’m certain that these are not original USN governmental issue jackets with an NSN stock number. If they were issued and in the USN procurement system the jackets would need to have contract labels as the ones pictured in my last post . The jackets don’t even have the USN perforations on the wind flap. Legendary USA is located in Exton Pa and they have a shop there . They have no government or USN contracts that I’m aware of .
Thanks for the clarification. Nonetheless, these jackets just look hideous and not very flattering.

Skyhawk

Yes, not an issued jacket. It does not meet the Military Specs.
The Blue Angels have some weird non-spec items that they wear. Like Cotton/Poly flight suits that don't meet the specs for fire resistance. They also don't wear G-suits during performances which is pretty ballsy.

Pa12

Yes, not an issued jacket. It does not meet the Military Specs.
The Blue Angels have some weird non-spec items that they wear. Like Cotton/Poly flight suits that don't meet the specs for fire resistance. They also don't wear G-suits during performances which is pretty ballsy.
The no g-suit fact always blew me away. I remember as a student pilot messing around with an instructor. Pulled out of a dive too quick and blacked out at 4 g’s. True, I had no training for it, but still. With the g’s these guys pull. They must have strong necks and thick blood ;)

Cocker

Regarding the G-Suit, I remember reading a while ago that they do not use them because their inflation mike be enough to deviate slightly the hand and blow to hell the precision formation flying.

Pa12

Regarding the G-Suit, I remember reading a while ago that they do not use them because their inflation mike be enough to deviate slightly the hand and blow to hell the precision formation flying.
I could see that . They’re awfully close to each other. Wouldn’t take much.

adfrost

The Air Force Thunderbirds also wear G-Suits. The F-16 has a side stick, so the inflation would not cause any movement, whereas the F-18 the Blue Angels fly has a center stick and the hand would rest on/near the legs. Another minor detail is that the Thunderbirds wear O2 masks and the Blue Angels do not.

Flightengineer

A slightly strange explanation for the G-suit. Both famous aerobatic teams here use G-suits, although both MiG and Su have a classic control stick and not a sidestick