• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So how much does a high end repro REALLY cost ?

A

Anonymous

John Lever said:
Define ' High end repro '

Blunt as ever John :)

How about this for a first stab:

"A jacket purported to be a re-creation of a period jacket that costs several times more than it's constituant parts might suggest."

Makers include GW, ELC, Aero, RMNZ, BR. RM

If you look at the retail for a Cooper A-2 and treble it you get my drift. I make NO comment on value for money etc, etc, that is a personal thing.

Be interesting to see what definition others use.

John, now it's your turn to make the definition .................

Dave

John Lever

Just confused as I would assume Aero to be a High end repro manufacturer, but you say they can make lower cost HH jackets. ?

rich

I had assumed that the ticket price of a jacket, as with most other things after production costs, is set by what the market will bear.
If more materials were sourced from third world countries you could probably buy slightly cheaper goods, but if anyone
watched Blood Sweat and Luxuries, you'd hopefully have no problems paying that bit extra. There was one episode which showed what it takes to get cheap leather goods into western shops, if I hadn't seen it I would never have believed it.

A

Anonymous

John Lever said:
Just confused as I would assume Aero to be a High end repro manufacturer, but you say they can make lower cost HH jackets. ?

My point was that a fully custo and tricked out half belt long for example is still much cheaper some of the A-2s but it involves a lot more work (to my admittedly untrained eye) in a much stiffer leather. I presume that the A-2 lovers are prepared to pay more for their jackets than Highwayman owners ?? Are the half belt longs a high end repro in themselves ?

I'd still like to know your definition of a high end repro jacket John. As I would everyone elses.

Dave

John Lever

Good point.
Also remember that Aero bike jackets have to compete with other purely practical products. Repros are essentially decorative and have no function. I doubt very much that a very good Irvin or A-2 is much good if you have a fall at 70 mph.
I understand that Aero jackets are very popular with American bikers particularly Hells Angels.

A

Anonymous

Fair point John. Perhaps a lack of competition is a factor in prices of high-end A-2s .......... I would never say that a repro isn't practical. All clothing is practical in protecting us from the elements or enhancing our belief in how good / rich / rebellious etc we are. I don't think anyone would try to sell an Irvin as a good jacket for a motorbike. Although they were a cheap jacket for 1950's and 60's bikers, I suspect warmth and a lack of alternatives was a huge factor over protection.

Perhaps the high end boys are looking to the most expensive maker and taking a lead off them .......

~From a motorcycling perspective, the clothing is available to every budget. The top kit being very expensive but to what degree that is down to quality and to sponsorship deals I know not. They too have R&D and an ongoing learning process to deal with.

Still be nice to know your definition of a high end repro John ............... :) I've had a stab !

Dave

A

Anonymous

But John,
My ELC Cable and ANJ are very practical on my motorbike ! :D

Perhaps an alternative definition might be

' a jacket for which some would pay many times more for, for details few would notice, compared to a visually 99% identical version' ??

Or if I remove my cynic hat:

'A jacket made of supremely high quality materials by a true craftsman(or woman) that gives the wearer a very good feeling regardless of whether the jacket is being worn or not. Just by being possessed.'

With the caveat that that feeling can go as quickly as it can be gained !! :lol:

"High-End Repro" is oft bandied about here and it seems strange that no-one can give a consensual opinion as to what it means.

Dave

John Lever

My ELC Cable and ANJ are very practical on my motorbike !
Not really when compared to Goretex jackets with armour inlays.
My point is that they were the pinnacle of design 70 years ago. Today they are really only curiosities. That's why we are prepared to pay silly money for them.

A

Anonymous

The most important reason why the prices for wwii repro jackets is high
is because there isn't really a market for those jackets. These can be called "collector's items"
and are not addressed to the general public (because perhaps the makers don't have the means to reach those markets) that would increase sales and therefore push prices down.

There are of course brands that mass produce these jackets (the cheap not good quality repros) but the fact is that you don't find them at your neighborhood's clothes store (at least not in Europe I guess).