• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snow in North Carolina

greyhound52

Well there is about at least 4 inches on the ground here at Ft. Bragg. CWU-45 day plus goretex parka. Would have been nice to have my Aero D-1 but that is due until Feb.

Swing

greyhound52 said:
Well there is about at least 4 inches on the ground here at Ft. Bragg. CWU-45 day plus goretex parka. Would have been nice to have my Aero D-1 but that is due until Feb.

Four inches?! :lol: :p We're supposed to get that much today, and will give use around 22" to 24" of snow on the ground! We're close to 120" for the season, and a township north of me in the snow belt is supposed to be closing in on 200" for the season.

We're currently at our high for today (14), but will have a "warm up" (31) on Friday. Back to teens and single digits for the weekend though. "Make the world go away...."

~Swing

greyhound52

Swing,
I know 4 inches aint much but these folks here aren't use to this and have zero snow removal equipment. Using my key card from the hotel to get the snow off as they don't put any snow removal equipment in the rental cars like they do in Omaha or DC. High today 33 low 20 which would be a heat wave in your parts.

bazelot

It's in the 70s here. I was actually too hot yesterday and I was wearing shorts / t-shirt. Can't believe i have to dress up for work today.

Swing

greyhound52 said:
Swing,
I know 4 inches aint much but these folks here aren't use to this and have zero snow removal equipment.

I know, I just like giving people in warmer climates a hard time. ;)

I'm sure there's someone in the upper midwest with 3 feet of snow on the ground and has to plug their car in every night due to subzero temps that could give me a hard time!

~Swing

I left from work this morning and the snow had just started in my area by that time- 6 AM. An hour later I looked outside and couldn't believe how much had fallen in such a short time.

This area really isn't prepared for snow. It's such a rare occurrence that they just don't have the equipment to deal with it.

Vcruiser

In 1971 I was stationed at Ft. Puke,Louseyana. While attending an on base movie...it snowed(maybe an inch). As the movie let out...several local GIs(from Lousiana&Texas)came out with the crowd..and jumped straight up in the air with glee at the sight! Almost hysterically giggling as little kids..they literally danced on air with excitement. Those of us from "up north" kinda looked at them sideways with their reaction. "Snow"!! Snow"!!...this IS snow! Then we realised that they had only seen snow in pictures! I'll never forget their response to seeing it for the first time.
Then we were notified that the Army base had been shut down...because of SNOW. Many had no idea how to drive on it. They had four wrecks within an hour trying to maneuver on the barely white covered roads. Plus..they had no equipment to remove it. The next day(in February) the 60 temp melted it off...and things returned to normal.
Van

Chandler

Swing said:
I'm sure there's someone in the upper midwest with 3 feet of snow on the ground and has to plug their car in every night due to subzero temps that could give me a hard time!

Fortunately, I have a garage! :D

But there really isn't 3 feet on the ground... not since the one-day heat wave after Christmas.

BTW -- Point that thing somewhere else, willya? Not exactly NRA regulation safety standards... (says Jimmy wit' his gats)

Chandler

Atticus

Indeed, there is snow in North Carolina. Its the first that I've seen since 2004. Court was called last night in anticipation of this "major winter storm", so I went to the office for only a short while this morning. Since then, I've just been goofing off. I've been to the store to buy bread and milk. I've fed the birds. I've been to the coffee shop.

Been wearing my somewhat odd "aggressor sateen green shade 255" M-51 over a hoodie all day. The temp is up to 28, but the wind is blowing about thirty MPH, so the old field jacket feels pretty good.

Here's the view from my porch about thirty minutes ago. Since then, the snow has covered the entire yard and is still coming down strong and heavy. Heck, we'll probably get two inches if it keeps up!

misc013.jpg

AF

greyhound52

We got a lot more at Bragg than you have AF. Here is the scene at my hotel around 11am. Even more snow now.

hotel.jpg

My rental car

photcar.jpg

Ain't been in snow for 20 years and this sucks.

Swing

Atticus said:

What you have there is what's refered to as a "dusting". Two inches would be refered to as "insignifigant accumulation" by the local weather man. :p

~Swing

Atticus

Jackie and I snapped some photos around the house this afternoon. I guess it wasn't much of a storm by Northern standards, but it was the most snow I've seen in a long while...and I have to admit that I've enjoyed it.

misc038-1.jpg

snow069-1.jpg
snow001-1.jpg

snow031-1.jpg
misc022-1.jpg

misc029.jpg

snow016-1.jpg
misc034-1.jpg

Andrew

Vcruiser said:
.....Then we realised that they had only seen snow in pictures! I'll never forget their response to seeing it for the first time.

Van
I live at the beach and we have a similar a similar thing with people from inland seeing the Ocean for the first time :cool:

I love snow and hope to get to some this year but can happily say I wouldn't want to live in a frozen world every 6 months. I spent a Winter in Finland years ago and despite it being exquisitely beautiful everything was bloody hard work with typical days at -26 to -36 degC (-15to -33f) on a sunny day with no wind.

I'm fascinated by the temperature ranges in the US. It's amazing it can vary so much across the country- our continent is roughly the same size but the temps are quite consistent. It must give you a lot of choices for holidays.