• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sizing of L-2B if compared with CWU36 and others

Rutger

Hi there,

I'm considering buying a L-2B in addition to my collection of several CWU-36, a CWU-45 and several different versions of CVC jackets. My wife thinks I'm totally crazy, they're all the same aren't they.

Anyway, sizing is a bit difficult.
CWU-36 at size Large is just too small, when reaching a bit (in my car, on my bike, when picking up things and so on) the cuffs pull back and leave my wrists exposed, which feels cheap. On my bike my back becomes exposed, and it feels a bit cramped around chest and shoulders with ziper closed. It depends on the make, though. The Propper make is just about fine at Large, most others are not.
CWU-36 at X-Large is more roomy all around which leaves me with a pleasant amount of freedom of movement, so it's just fine, and the cuffs don't pull back. Some, I noticed on this forum, would say it's just a bit too large for me. I think if there where a CWU-36 at between Large and X-Large, this would be my choice.
CWU-45 from Propper at Large is a perfect fit for me.
Same story for my CVC-jackets: X-Large/Long are roomy and comfy , but large/long is unpleasant to wear with exact same problems as with CWU-36 Large.

Now for the L-2B, of which I saw an Alpha 7448J supposedly from 1973: Is the L-2B also designed for a snug fit like the CWU-36, and should I take an X-large.
Or is the L-2B roomier than a similar CWU-36 and should I buy a Large because it is halfway between large and X-large of the CWU-36.
Some of it will come down to taste of fit, but maybe someone recognizes my dilemma and has some advise on this.

thanks & bye,
Rutger

greyhound52

I take a large in both the CWU-36 and 45 and they fit fine (I have the older models with the pleats in the back). In L-2Bs the model you mentioned I took a X-Large and the fit is fine. Moreover, with earlier models (1965 version and a 1957 greylined version) I found I had to go to a X-Large as they ran a bit on the tight side and short in length. So most likely you would have to go to a XL in the L-2B for proper length and width fit. Hope this helps.

watchmanjimg

I think if nothing else CWUs run a bit longer. Accordingly, I can fit into one size smaller in a CWU as opposed to the L-2B or MA-1. I have several CWU-36s in Large and the sleeves tunnel noticeably, while the sleeves on the earlier jackets do not. If you find a Large CWU too small, you may not even fit into an L-2B in X-Large.

I definitely agree that the CWU jackets seem to run about half a size off. The Medium is slightly snug on me, while the Large is a bit roomy.

greyhound52

I have three CWU-45s a 1980,1984, and 1995. The earlier versions are a snugger fit than the 95 version which appears slightly large. All are size large. My CWU-36s 1977, and 1995 fit about the same both size Large.

tgd31968

I was just at an army navy surplus store today. They had a lot of comercial junk, not much in the way of actual issue stuff.

They did have 2 CWU-45's by Alpha. They must be newer ones as they have the remove before flight tag on the sleeve pocket, but they don't have that silly-assed approved for high speed low level fllight tag that one of my others had.

Anyway, I was surprised to find the large was just right in sizing. Most things a medium is just right to slightly snug, but a large is huge on me. I would not have wanted this one to be any smaller, but the sleeves could have been 3/4" shorter.

I have an old alpha ma-1 in medium that fits but is too short. Measures 23" from bottom of collar to bottom of knit. It rides up when I sit, and is a PITA to wear. Otherwise if fits ok, but is on the snug side.

I am finding that is the case with much of the current uniforms too. I tried on the latest US army digital cammo shirt/jacket. The new ones have zippers which surprised me. I thought they always stuck with buttons because those could be repaired in the field easier than zippers. Anyway, A medium just fits without much room for anything under it, while a large is like a tent. As someone said, it seems like all the sizing is a half step off, or I am.

For reference, I am 5'7" tall, 180 lbs and my actual chest measurement is 43 inches, sleeve is 24 from top of arm to crotch of thumb.

Terry

Rutger

Hi there,
Just received an L-2B from 1973 in XL in great condition. Fits well and allright for everyday use, is just a bit (but noticably) smaller than the CWU-36 (XL).
Like CWU-36, Large will probably be too small, halfway between Large and X-large may well be the perfect fit for me.

thanks for your answers, they helped me make a good decision.

Rutger