• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sizing guidance

HDFB110

Hello there - looking at getting an Urvin reproduction.
I have narrowed my field of search down to Aero Leathers or Aviation Leathercraft
I have measured 50 inch chest & a measured 36 inch waist (Jean size)
My stomach at it largest or fattest is 40 inch.
How do these sort of jackets size?
Do they give or stretch with time/age/wear?
Does the shearling lining flatten or squash?
Looking at spending £800 or so pounds I want to get the right size !!
Difficulty at the moment is wi5 COVID it’s only really online business.
Also UK seem to be having issues getting sheep skins - BREXIT - who knows

Thanks for any guidance or help

B-Man2

Hi HDF
Welcome to VLJ
One of our members here is a fellow named Ken who manages Aero Leather . If you are considering an Irvin jacket , I would strongly advise you to talk to Ken or write him a private message directly . As for choosing a maker, I think most here would agree with me that you would be miles ahead by choosing an Aero . Of the two makers, Aero produces the most accurate reproduction of the original WWII jacket .

MikeyB-17

Welcome aboard. Burt is right, most of us would go for the Aero, which is far closer to a wartime original than the ALC-but that’s what we’re into here. Note that original Irvins had no pockets, and nor will the Aero. ALC Irvins do have pockets-not historically accurate, but more practical. ALC tend to appeal more to folk who drive open top sports cars and the like-nothing intrinsically wrong with ALC, they’re nicely made and very warm, and if accuracy doesn’t bother you, you may prefer one of theirs-just depends what’s important to you. As far as measurements are concerned, both manufacturers know their business, and will be able to advise you what size you need.

B-Man2

Good points Mikey .
He may simply like the overall look of the jacket and the convenience of having pockets, and not necessarily be interested in historical accuracy. My bad I should have given that some thought as well.
Welcome aboard. Burt is right, most of us would go for the Aero, which is far closer to a wartime original than the ALC-but that’s what we’re into here. Note that original Irvins had no pockets, and nor will the Aero. ALC Irvins do have pockets-not historically accurate, but more practical. ALC tend to appeal more to folk who drive open top sports cars and the like-nothing intrinsically wrong with ALC, they’re nicely made and very warm, and if accuracy doesn’t bother you, you may prefer one of theirs-just depends what’s important to you. As far as measurements are concerned, both manufacturers know their business, and will be able to advise you what size you need.

HDFB110

Thanks for the quick responses so far -
On the question of historic accuracy - I like the jackets weights, quality of material, warmth, durability.
Having said that I’m not one who wants to just hang it in the wardrobe - I will be using it.
No I’m not in the open top sports car crew - but I will be using it when on my motorbike!
The idea of pockets for convenience vs accuracy - I’m in the field of of a modern day classic = pockets would be useful for me ?
Sorry as a newbie if I’m upsetting the authenticity factor but I want a usable jacket.
Think I will still try to get in touch with the guy at aero leathers.
Would still like/need some sizing info

Thanks

B-Man2

Thanks for the quick responses so far -
On the question of historic accuracy - I like the jackets weights, quality of material, warmth, durability.
Having said that I’m not one who wants to just hang it in the wardrobe - I will be using it.
No I’m not in the open top sports car crew - but I will be using it when on my motorbike!
The idea of pockets for convenience vs accuracy - I’m in the field of of a modern day classic = pockets would be useful for me ?
Sorry as a newbie if I’m upsetting the authenticity factor but I want a usable jacket.
Think I will still try to get in touch with the guy at aero leathers.
Would still like/need some sizing info

Thanks
Based on your last response I would suggest that you contact both companies regarding sizing information . The jackets are cut differently, as the Aero will be a bit trimmer based on WWII patterns. I’ve owned a ALC Irvin and they tend to fit true to current day sizing .