• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Size 40 Real McCoy's B-6. Got to be worth a bid !

A

Anonymous

That's true David but I can't help feeling that there's more than one or two short stubby folk on this forum ......... :D

Peter Graham

JACKET_ HEAD said:
That's true David but I can't help feeling that there's more than one or two short stubby folk on this forum ......... :D
Who are you talkin' about ? :) The jacket has a few issues, mainly that the zipper is on the way to being toast and why anyone would remove the label is beyond me but it looks like a nice jacket and I've been after a B-6 for a long time so I might give it a punt.

asiamiles

The seller may have posted measurements for a different jacket as obviously the B-6 doesn't have any knits...the last measurement especially makes no sense. If the measurements are near correct, I think this is more likely a 38 not a 40.

If the label is missing can we be sure this is a RM, and an early one at that? I'm wondering how the seller knows that this is not one of the many other repro B-6's that have been done over the years?

A

Anonymous

NOT you Peter , not you. Just that I can't be the only one. Certainly not judging from some of the photos posted on here ;)

Shame it's too small for me. Good luck with bidding on it. Even with a replacement zipper, it might be a bargain. The quality of stitching seems pretty good to me so even if it's not a so-called 'high-end' repro maker, it's a good one for sure.

It looks very good to my untrained and not overly anally retentive / OCD eyes. :)

J_H

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
If the label is missing can we be sure this is a RM, and an early one at that? I'm wondering how the seller knows that this is not one of the many other repro B-6's that have been done over the years?

It should have the small RM label in the side seam, or pocket.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Throw some pics up when you get it. I'd be interested to see it.
Will do! Only had to pay $7 for shipping to HK, and no worries about paying import duty, so for a grand total of $310, it seems like a good buy despite the dodgy zipper tape and lack of label (something which doesn't bother me personally but I guess has an impact on resale value).

I've been after a B-6 for quite a while, so fingers crossed, but if it doesn't fit or if for I don't care for it (I've only ever tried on a size 38 BR, which was too small for me, so I really don't know if the style is "me" or not) I should easily be able to get back my money on Yahoo Japan.

And thanks to VLJ member JACKET_ HEAD for alerting me to this auction, as I very rarely even search/browse eBay anymore.

ausreenactor

Bought a B-10 off the seller two years ago. Took 3 months to get the Ciggie smell out..Hope you
fare okay with this one. I gave up at $205.

Couchy

asiamiles

Jacket arrived! Condition pretty much as described...clearly has had some wear, but that's okay as I don't like my sheepskin's to look brand new.

No RM label in the pocket so how can I be sure this is "the real mccoy"? What are the alternatives?

Size-wise, it zips up fine so it's definitely bigger than the 38 Buzz I tried on, but really a 40? Anyone else have a B-6 in a 38 or 40 to compare measurements?

Also I have short arms and the sleeves are barely long enough, and that's just over a t-shirt. I need to check how it looks over a shirt. I know B-6's do have relatively short sleeves but these seem too short. Could the sleeves have been shortened, or do the snaps look the correct distance from the end of the sleeves on the seller's photos? Perhaps it's a custom job?

At the moment I'm undecided about the jacket. The sleeves are probably the only "issue" with it, but the very light weight of it makes it feel sort of...well if not cheap, not exactly luxurious.

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
No RM label in the pocket so how can I be sure this is "the real mccoy"? What are the alternatives?
It has to be a high end repro of some sort. Who else would go to the bother of using 'United Carr' snaps ? The only thing I can say is that it's not Aero or Eastman.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
I know B-6's do have relatively short sleeves but these seem too short.

That's why I pointed it out .... all stock RM jackets have relatively long sleeves, my Medium D-1 measures at 26". They figure that it's easier to shorten than to lengthen.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
That's why I pointed it out .... all stock RM jackets have relatively long sleeves, my Medium D-1 measures at 26". They figure that it's easier to shorten than to lengthen.

I figured with my short arms it wouldn't be an issue. I tried it on with a thickish shirt and the sleeves seemed just okay...I couldn't see the shirt sleeves poking out. Below is a photo of the cuffs...from the position of the snaps do the sleeves look as if they've been shortened?

I like the jacket rather more now; unlike the B-3 and Irvin it feels quite casual. It is quite trim over a shirt; not too small, as the bi-swing back gives one movement, but I'm 99% sure it's a 38. As a result, I find it a bit short (the seller's mesurements indicated it was the same length as my A-2), just covering the belt on my jeans when the jacket is zipped; personally I feel I could do with a extra couple of inches, my conclusion being that it's a 38 and I would be more comfortable in a 40.

b6cuffs.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
...from the position of the snaps do the sleeves look as if they've been shortened?

The snaps are in the right place, but in shortening the sleeves it would be easy enough to move them up. If ordered from RM, they finish the sleeves at whatever length you need .... I'm sure that 22" isn't the standard length.

I think you'll find that you get a lot of use from the B-6. My lightweight D-1 is so easy to wear .... the B-3 just sits on the vintage tailor's dummy, wondering what the outside world looks like.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I think you'll find that you get a lot of use from the B-6. My lightweight D-1 is so easy to wear .... the B-3 just sits on the vintage tailor's dummy, wondering what the outside world looks like.

Yes, I sold my B-3 after wearing it just a couple of times in a year or more. I've yet to wear either my Irvin or my B-2!

ausreenactor

Was/Is there a cigarette odour? The potential for it disuaded me from bidding higher
on this or the CAB Clothing Jacket...

Couchy