• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Size 36 --- NOS Monarch MIL-J- 7823 (AER) G-1 Beauty on ebay.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

If you are in the market for a USN Korean war era flight jacket or any period goat skin G-1 and are a small size this should fit the bill!

I am in love with this beautiful jacket even if its way too small.

Plz someone here grab this and show it! Shit I'd even ask the seller if he/she is open for an offer.... auction is up since a couple of weeks and small.

D

Brettafett

In was keen on this one, but adding postage to UK, duties/ taxes... And then cleaning, adding a tag, replacing knits etc.. Just becomes way too expensive to contemplate.

Chandler

Yeah I was in-between with repro or NOS for a while.
Truthfully, I was kidding about the inauthenticity -- just a joke on G-1s always seeming to have paint marks (mine did).

Mine was also one of those Monarchs with the bulletproof hide -- Maverickson and I have talked about that particular run in the past.

But yeah, it's a great hide -- @Thomas Koehle -- right?

Chandler

That's funny Chandler, my original Monarch HAS paint marks on it too!!!!

D
See. Authenticity! ;)

Forum theory is that there was always a lot of painting maintenance happening on aircraft carriers and aviators inevitably brushed the wrong parts of the bulkhead.

Dany McDonald

Hummm, man I am not convince of the actual veracity of this theory... Especially with garments part of an officer kit!

N-1 = Enlisted Man chore jacket = very possible.
G-1 = Naval Officer flight kit = keep it functional and clean.

D

Chandler

Hummm, man I am not convince of the actual veracity of this theory... Especially with garments part of an officer kit!

N-1 = Enlisted Man chore jacket = very possible.
G-1 = Naval Officer flight kit = keep it functional and clean.
It's been proposed by a Navy vet in one of the other threads.

Me, I thought the mustered out vets chose to wear their jackets while performing household maintenance. ;)

But I also have an N-3B with paint smudges and I doubt anyone was wearing that to paint a house or fence in the cold!

Quick search:

Dany McDonald

Well okay, when I worked on a military base (RCAF) for the maintenance section (automotive), I did do some painting and every precautions were always taken to avoid this, I mean its just non-professional. Personnel of the section would have been very angry getting wet paint while on duty! Also, my father served 21 years in the RCAF and would have never ever worn any part of his uniform dirty from pain marks. But who knows what goes on a US navy boat.

Maybe at sea during a conflict, on alert you brush on wet paint while scrambling to get to your Banshee or Corsair. Those Monarch are 1951, Korean war, et voilà...

Just my two Canadian cents...;)

D

Erwin

Hey Silver Surfer,

that eb size 36 has a conmar zipper pull with conmar stamped on the top of the spine. anyone ever see a conmar like that?

There is already a post regarding this zipper, looks like it is a Conmar type Type 59701 [user Grant mentioned this here: https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/conmar-zipper.21311/ ] this one, like I see properly was just oxidized. This zipper looks great and in fact, is from the '40s.
conmar.jpg

Similar zippers can be found on B10 jackets, but I'm sure you know this - an example https://www.lux-military-antiques.com/en/p/15th-usaaf-named-and-identified-b-10-flight-jacket-.htm [however this one from B10 has a different slider pull].

Chandler

that eb size 36 has a conmar zipper pull with conmar stamped on the top of the spine. anyone ever see a conmar like that?
My Monarch had a Conmar zip marked like that -- but it was blackened.

I have the pics JC took for his CD, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Thomas Koehle

Truthfully, I was kidding about the inauthenticity -- just a joke on G-1s always seeming to have paint marks (mine did).

Mine was also one of those Monarchs with the bulletproof hide -- Maverickson and I have talked about that particular run in the past.

But yeah, it's a great hide -- @Thomas Koehle -- right?

Definitely the leather is outstanding with that special hide. Absolutely the nicest out of the 5 USN jackets in my collection …

Last edited: