• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sidcot Suits

fleet16b

This may be a subject for the "CLOTH" section,?????
Anyway besides leather Flight Jackets , I collect RAF/RACAF Flight suits.
I am wondering if others here do the same and would love to see pics of what people have and their comments about them
Lets see what you have !!

Thanks

Andrew

It'd really be better located in related gear, but dont worry about this one being in the wrong spot, it's so obscure it'll be a pretty short thread. ;)

I have a couple of the rare Australian made sidcots (Sidney Cotton aka The last Man out of Berlin was an Aussie), this particular one's for sale actually :) 1942, large size, similar pattern to the old RAF button up type. My other is unissued and a bit bigger. They aint cheap! Haven't yet had an Air Ministry suit but it is on the wishlist.

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

fleet16b

Andrew

Nice Suit!
Quite alot different than the traditional SidCot suit. It appears to be an version that would be for the warmer pacific climate.
I will take some pics of my various suits and post then in the next day or two.
The most common are the Air Ministry isuued SidCot suits. The interior was treated with a very light layer of rubber for waterproofing however the rubber on most is long gone due to deterioration.
They also have fur lined leg pockets ,rear belt,, zipped arms amd legs , detachable fur collars and also a faux fur detachable liner commonly known as a "Teddy Bear Suit"
I have seen SidCots in three colours - Khaki, Olive and airforce blue
Khaki is the most common. I had one green one and it was sold to the movie company that made the soon to be released "Amelia" The suit can be seen wron by Hilary Swankwhile she flies the Atlantic as a passenger in the Fokker Tri Motor.
In my collection , I also have a Blue SudCot suit, These are extremely rare and some sources state that they were made especially for the Norwegian Airforce which trained here in Canada as a part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.
I also have an example of a "Decon Suit". Decon was a Canadian company that was a large prewar and wartime producer of Flight Suits.