• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shrinkage...

Isisllc

No, I'm not talking about what most of us are experiencing now due to the cold weather, but rather expectations for a shearling jacket subjected to a washing and drying.

Here's what's up; I purchased a beautiful '42 pattern Eastman Irvin from a VLJ member in size 44 (one of the last '42s not done in the distressed finish). Back in '04 I had purchased a house B3 from Eastman in size 42 and love the jacket, with the caveat that I've always wanted to layer underneath it, and there just wasn't room. I figured that a size 44 would do the job, I wanted an Irvin, saw this jacket for sale and the price was right.

Well... I've got to believe that if I had been aircrew during the war that this is the jacket that I would have wanted; with a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and a heavy knit fisherman's sweater under it, it fits. At 30,000' over the continent, I've got to believe that the more room to layer, the better. However, I'm not going to taking any trips 5 miles high in an unpressurized plane with no heat anytime soon, and wearing anything less than previously described under the jacket and it looks 2" too big. I think that the Irvin's, or at least this Irvin, must be sized larger than the B3's. Based upon the fit of my B3, I would think that going up one size would have been the perfect solution to my situation.

Back to my question; I have considered attempting to sell the Irvin and then either buy a used size 42 when it comes up, or sit on my hands (hard to do) until I'm back in the UK whereupon I'll visit either an airshow (bought the B3 at Biggen Hill), or Eastman so that I can get a proper fit. The alternative is to throw the jacket in the washer (gentle cycle) and then chuck it in the dryer to see if I can shrink it appropriately. I know that others on this site have done similar things and I'd like to get feedback as to the level of success that has been experienced. I would take necessary precautions; turn the jacket insideout, zip up and secure all loose items, but again, I'd like to hear if anyone has done this successfully.

A quick description of the Irvin in comparison with the B3; the Irvin is twice as heavy as the B3 in weight. Visually, the wool doesn't look that much thicker, jacket to jacket, but try on the Irvin and you'll immediately feel the difference in warmth. I've always wondered at the comments that a B3 can't be worn unless the weather is extremely cold; mine is suitable in any weather below freezing. I've got to believe that I'd be drenched in sweat wearing the Irvin unless the weather was approaching the teens or below (all this in F). The B3 continues to elicit a lot of attention when I wear it, and is beginning to look the part of a weathered jacket with considerable wear to the horsehide bits. Not long after its purchase, the imitation talon zip puller came apart, but luckily I had an original that I could use as a replacement. It continues to serve to this day.

Sorry that I have no pictures to accompany this post. I need to take the time to post some so that you can see the differences in the two jackets, but haven't taken the time to do so. Any input on shrinkage?

Thanks!

John Lever

You can shrink it but there are risks involved.
My advice is to post some photos here for us all to see and offer our comments. Irvins can be a very forgiving jacket regardless of size and look better when too big IMO.
If you must shrink it then wash it hot at 80 deg. C and then tumble dry it, leaving all zips unfastened.

Isisllc

John Lever said:
You can shrink it but there are risks involved.
My advice is to post some photos here for us all to see and offer our comments. Irvins can be a very forgiving jacket regardless of size and look better when too big IMO.
If you must shrink it then wash it hot at 80 deg. C and then tumble dry it, leaving all zips unfastened.

Thanks for the response, John. I know that results will vary jacket to jacket, but in your experience, how much do the shearlings shrink? I'll get some pictures as soon as time allows. I especially want to put together a conmparison of the B3 and the Irvin. They're both great jackets, but I'm surprised at the differences between them.

Thanks

Jaguar46

John Lever said:
10 % ?
Be aware the leather can get hard and brittle.

Are you saying here that the HWT will actually start the process of hardening, progressing to acceleration the process of it becoming brittle, whereas this process would never have happened if one hadn't intervened?

If one immediately after shrinking, applies leather conditioner, like Pecards, or Leatherique, will this arrest the hardening? Do you have personal experience shrinking lambskin?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaguar46 said:
John Lever said:
10 % ?
Be aware the leather can get hard and brittle.

... Do you have personal experience shrinking lambskin?

John has much experience with washing sheepskin, that's why I posted the link back to this older thread.

John Lever

I finally came a cropper recently when I foolishly washed a jacket at 95 deg C. I still don't know how I made such a mistake.
It was completely ruined and had shrunk from a 46 to a 30 and as hard as old boots, so I threw it in the bin. My advice is to wash on a woollens or silk cycle with Woollite or leather soap and only tumble when almost dry.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
It was completely ruined and had shrunk from a 46 to a 30 and as hard as old boots, so I threw it in the bin.

Nothing too expensive I hope, John. :oops:

I'm guessing if it was an Eastman, you would have buried it in the garden.

John Lever

Not expensive but very highly prized by me, one of the excellent Cockpit RAF jackets with the small collars and long arms. It was only £120, but I may not see another one for years.
I like the D-1 in your Avatar.

Roughwear

These Cockpit RAF jackets are relatively rare and I'm really sorry to learn about its fate John. I definitely will not be putting any of my original Irvins in the washing machine at any temperature!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Not expensive but very highly prized by me, one of the excellent Cockpit RAF jackets with the small collars and long arms. It was only £120, but I may not see another one for years.

Sorry to hear that ...

I like the D-1 in your Avatar.

Thankyou John ... it actually snowed in Auckland, so I got to wear it. :D