• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing my A2 jacket nose art

NickG

Just wanted to share my horse hide Flight Suits (now G&B) A2 back panel art work.
I purchased the A2 in 1991 and had an artist friend paint it on the jacket right after the purchase, so the art work is already almost 19 years old! Paint is holding up well!

I believe an 8th AF (ETO) B17 carried the "FLAK SHY LADY" name, but mine is obviously
a Pacific Theatre theme. The pin-up is actually copied from a period photo of a model
and not from an existing ww2 nose art design...So one of a kind...looking "shy"

a2038.jpg

NickG

Thanks for the thumbs up everybody.
The guy that painted my A2 is very talented and I also commissioned him to do the art work on this plane, which belonged to a group I was involved with about 10-12 years ago.

Its a Douglas A26C Invader (44-35710) manufactured at the Tulsa, OK Douglas plant in 1944.
I was involved with the project (after finding the plane) and was overseeing the 2 year restoration (10,000 man hours) on behalf of a Dutch owner and upon completion was able to help with the delivery, a ferry flight to Europe (as a crew member), of course wearing this same A2 jacket and over it a B-15A jacket to stay warm!

Flight route: Chino,California-Oshkosh,WI-Goose,Canada-Greenland-Iceland-Scotland-Duxford UK, arriving in Amsterdam Holland, where the plane stayed for about 2 years. Because of red tape issues with a European registration and cost issues it was decided to return it to the States, maintaining its American "N" number (registration linked to a Las Vegas corporation, I was President of).
I am no longer involved with this Invader, but fortunately it found a good home now!

It got sold through a Chicago area airplane broker (where this picture got taken) and now belongs to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison, Texas and they have deep pockets, so its in good hands now, hopefully for generations to enjoy!
and yes that's a real Norden bomb sight. The plane has all the whistles and bells you can think of, including the remote control upper and lower gun turret periscope mechanism in working condition (mint NOS out of a crate).
For that reason it won the "Best Bomber" award at the Oshkosh show in 1998, where we stopped on our way to the "ETO". An unforgettable experience, so I can say that my A2 did serve its purpose well, authentic "rub wear" in certain areas!

0291077-1.jpg

NickG

OK more jackets! Here's another one.
We had 10 of these A2's (Coopers) commissioned by another artist (RT Foster), who copied the Invader nose art done by my friend on the aircraft.

The jackets were ordered for air and ground crew members of the "Invader Air Display" team (at the time).

Matches the plane's artwork nicely, but does not have that 1940's look I think...like my FLAK SHY LADY A2 jacket, which I like much better.
Also this jacket's cow hide grain is not very uniform, but 10 jackets were created just like this...most of them better than this one!
DSC03364.jpg

zoomer

NickG said:
Matches the plane's artwork nicely, but does not have that 1940's look I think
Honestly? The problem with most present day jacket art is that IT LOOKS TOO PERFECT.

Razor-sharp edges, laser-precise lettering, near-photo-realist renderings may appeal to our sense of craftsmanship, but they are all out of place with the period style. It ought to look like a good hand painted job - which, I'm afraid, is getting to be a lost art.

NickG

Exactly...too nice and often even air brushed! That's why I like my A2 art work so much!
More 1940's "look" ... simpler technique...what was available at that time!

442RCT

zoomer said:
NickG said:
Matches the plane's artwork nicely, but does not have that 1940's look I think
Honestly? The problem with most present day jacket art is that IT LOOKS TOO PERFECT.

Razor-sharp edges, laser-precise lettering, near-photo-realist renderings may appeal to our sense of craftsmanship, but they are all out of place with the period style. It ought to look like a good hand painted job - which, I'm afraid, is getting to be a lost art.

I like all types of jacket art, but if the truth be told, I prefer the more 'modern' renditions of classic nose art. Even in WW2 there was a very wide variation of styles, from professional artists to the crewman with talent.

Original from WW2:
381339864.jpg

Three repros based on the original:

381339867.jpg

381339491.jpg

My personal choice of the three repros:
378456279.jpg