• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing Eastman Some Love

mulceber

So, we've all pretty well canvased the topic of Eastman's pricing. Jeff's had a series of threads assessing their problems with accuracy. All together, these have done a pretty good job of expressing our (reasonable) frustrations with Eastman Leather Clothing. I think we could use a palette cleanser, not because any of those frustrations aren't valid, but because this hobby should be fun, and belabored grumpiness isn't fun for anybody.

So, leaving aside all issues with pricing and accuracy, I think it'd be fun if we each shared one Eastman product that we own and/or one product that we don't own (yet?) that still knocks our socks off, and tell us why you think it's so damn cool.

For me, one that I own would be:
93889D20-BA80-4999-BA58-65B985BBBC59_1_105_c.jpeg

Officer Pinks (seen here before I had them hemmed): so glad I managed to find a pair of these. The slightly stretchy, heavy weave of wool is like no other fabric I've experienced, and is spot on for the (rather moth-eaten) pair of originals in my collection. They scream AAF and are just what the doctor ordered when the mercury plummets.

And one that I don't own:
Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 2.50.24 PM.png

Poughkeepsie AN-J-4 - Yes, I know capeskin reinforcements are stupid and inaccurate. The pocket flaps look nothing like the originals. And I don't think I've ever seen an original AN-J-4 with nickel talon M-42 zipper. And I know it costs about as much as two months' rent where I live. But damn it, it's just too damn cool! The drape of the collar, the buttons at the bottom of the zip, the shearling-lined cuffs:
Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 2.58.13 PM.png

Will I ever get one? Nah, probably not - JC makes one that's equally cool, and only costs 1.5 months' rent. :p But it sure is some nice eye candy.

Last edited:

Chandler

I'll dig out pictures of my 1401 -- that was my first repro and will always be my favorite, but only if Jeff stays the hell away from my posts. ;)

As well as my ELC Star that gets worn in rotation. Leather on that one is very interesting -- pretty sure it's steer, but some of the graining is very reminiscent of goat. Have to see if I can get some good close-ups.

ZuZu

I'll dig out pictures of my 1401 -- that was my first repro and will always be my favorite, but only if Jeff stays the hell away from my posts. ;)

As well as my ELC Star that gets worn in rotation. Leather on that one is very interesting -- pretty sure it's steer, but some of the graining is very reminiscent of goat. Have to see if I can get some good close-ups.
I'll stay away- the pictures will speak for me!;)

warguy

Well I certainly appreciate the attempt at giving Eastman some love, although I am not sure if it will stick (above post noted). I had to laugh not too long ago when a prominent member mentioned that Eastman is not liked much on this forum and an equally prominent member acted shocked by that statement. Lets face it, trash talk on Eastman is alive and well on this forum. I love the company, their products and service and dont mind saying so. That is no detraction to John and GW whose praise on this forum abounds, and maybe someday I will own one of his jackets as well. Yes Eastmans products are expensive, (so is GW) and I am grateful I bought my jackets several years ago, but I love them all the same. My three favorites are my A1 50 caliber (already shown, and yes Zuzu the pictures speak for me as well)), and my russet Monarch and seal Star, two of their best of the original maker series in my opinion. The Star especially just gets better and better with the patina rapidly developing.

Smithy

Worth adding that their Irvins are awesome. I'm personally not mad keen on the newer cracked leather finish they've been using of late (and before anyone has a wobbly about that, that's just my personal taste) but the earlier ones especially are terrific. Some of the 90s/early 00s ones wear to a point where the sheepskin is virtually indistinguishable from originals.

I'd never sell my one, not for all the tea in China.

sammy

I own a couple of Eastman jackets and have had others in the past (A-2 and Irvin), I'm no expert when it come to accuracy and don't have much experience with jackets by other makers, but I've always been impressed with the quality of the Eastmans I've had.
At present time I have one of their A-1's and love it, it's very comfortable to wear and also an ELMC Californian, again a great jacket, but truth be told it's a bit too 'cool' for me and I'm not sure it suits me so will probably move that on at some point to fund something else... jacket rotation, we all do that !

Their jacket I would like to own is the ELMC USN NEX Windcheater, I bet that's warm and comfy to wear, but not sure I could ever bring myself to pay the price and used ones never come up for sale.

I've never had the chance to visit their showroom, but judging by the photos I've seen I bet it's a great place to visit.

MikeyB-17

My first decent repro was an ELC steer A-2, back in 1997, visited the old factory and dealt with Alan Eastman, Gary’s dad. Foolishly sold it, so bought another, even older, which I still have and love. I did get a bit anti ELC for a while, mainly because certain members of previous forums were rabid ELC lovers, very po-faced and pompous, who would not have a bad word said about their beloved Eastmans, and it was fun to see Ken Calder and a few others irreverently winding them up. They’re not the last word in accuracy, but nobody outside our circle gives a monkey’s about that. They still make bloody good stuff and I’m happy to own what I have-either bought used or new in the days when such things were affordable to normal people. My B-2 cap, A-10 gloves and AN-6552 bag are all in regular use. I have recently obtained a G-1, with which I am delighted and can’t wait for the weather to cool so I can wear it more. I have to say that knowing what it costs new is a significant plus factor. I can’t say there’s anything I’m crying out for, but I continue to keep my eye out for used bargains.

B-Man2

I own a couple of Eastman jackets and have had others in the past (A-2 and Irvin), I'm no expert when it come to accuracy and don't have much experience with jackets by other makers, but I've always been impressed with the quality of the Eastmans I've had.
At present time I have one of their A-1's and love it, it's very comfortable to wear and also an ELMC Californian, again a great jacket, but truth be told it's a bit too 'cool' for me and I'm not sure it suits me so will probably move that on at some point to fund something else... jacket rotation, we all do that !

Their jacket I would like to own is the ELMC USN NEX Windcheater, I bet that's warm and comfy to wear, but not sure I could ever bring myself to pay the price and used ones never come up for sale.

I've never had the chance to visit their showroom, but judging by the photos I've seen I bet it's a great place to visit.
What size is your ELC Californian ?