• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your redye A2s

P-47 thunderbolt

I know redyes often take the back-burner when it comes to original A2s because they are not factory produced and are often flaked and peeling and used late/post war. But they can have such character! So I invite you to share.
I don't have one unfortunately although I have redyed a few repros in the past (no longer own) so please share yours. These can be original ww2 or even your own self dyed repro ore even an elc reissue, I believe there's even a few Goodwears out there.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Original Rough Wear Clothing Co. 23380
A1F23CA2-25FA-4A33-9290-8377A024F416.jpeg
7106C735-ACCC-4406-A107-B5A41E081B2C.jpeg

B-Man2

As most know, one of the purposes of re-dying the jackets in 1943, was to establish a common color for the many different colors of russet , and seal that were in existence at the time . However, as you can see in this thread, the re-dyes came out in lighter and darker shades depending on the amount of dye used, who was doing the re-dying and the process being used .

mulceber

The redye didn't cover the AF shoulder decal? Or did they reapply another?

The order to apply shoulder decals to all USAAF jackets came at roughly the same time as the order to re-dye all jackets not currently issued (Summer of '43). Prior to that, some jackets had patches with the Hap Arnold logo, but it was very much on a case-by-case basis. So in all likelihood, this jacket didn't have a decal at all, and then they dyed it and applied a decal.

As most know, one of the purposes of re-dying the jackets in 1943, was to establish a common color for the many different colors of russet , and seal that were in existence at the time . However, as you can see in this thread, the re-dyes came out in lighter and darker shades depending on the amount of dye used, who was doing the re-dying and the process being used .

100% Burt. The most common is "the McQueen look," but they appeared in all kinds of shades. And it seems like different jackets reacted differently to the re-dyeing process. Eastman claims in his book that the process hurt the long-term durability of the jackets, and that's certainly true in some cases, but then there are jackets like yours that were re-dyed and are still in near-mint condition. There really wasn't one uniform treatment.

CBI

re-dyes are my favorite A-2's - I prefer the darker resulting "seal" brown than the standard period russet which frequently looked like dog-poop brown by todays standards!

Dany McDonald

Hello,

This is my Aero 21996. It's a factory dye done by the tannery before the jacket was produced/assembled. You ca see the undertones all over, but there was something done in it's life as you can actually see some very dark over-dye over the tread especially at the pockets. It was acquired from Silver Surfer a couple of years ago.
Knits have been redone.

Hope you like it.

Aero-W535-ac-21996-01.jpg

Aero-W535-ac-21996-02.jpg

Dany

Silver Surfer

some originals were depot redyed, and some were sent back to the original makers for restoration, ie: new zippers, restitching, redying, cuffs. the ones sent back to the makers are for the most part, were much better done in terms of care taken to do a good job with actual dyes, and in stock materials. the depot redyes were often slap dash deals, and the pigments? used were thick and dark, often prone to fissures, cracking and pealing off in due time.

P-47 thunderbolt

Hello,

This is my Aero 21996. It's a factory dye done by the tannery before the jacket was produced/assembled. You ca see the undertones all over, but there was something done in it's life as you can actually see some very dark over-dye over the tread especially at the pockets. It was acquired from Silver Surfer a couple of years ago.
Knits have been redone.

Hope you like it.

View attachment 68820

View attachment 68821

Dany
The wear on that is incredible! That's why I love redyes

B-Man2

Hello,

Knits have been redone.

Hope you like it.

View attachment 68820

View attachment 68821

Dany
Dany
What size is this one ?

foster

Here is an Aero 15142 Redye. It's had new knits and lining, and my son wore it into a B-17 ball turret a few years back when he could still fit.

The inside of the pockets of this are the lighter brown. A faint USAAF white ink / paint roundel was applied to the left shoulder, though it is difficult to see.

Attachments

• IMG_7992S.JPG
    IMG_7992S.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8104.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 163