• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoulder to cuff distance: optimal length for best sleeve fit?

g1jacketfan

As a general rule, and assuming the jacket's shoulder and width is correct, how long should the sleeve be for optimal fit?

For example, if "x" is equal to the distance from your shoulder to your wrist bone wearing a button down shirt, then how many inches longer than "x" (i.e. "x + y") should the flight jacket sleeve be so that the sleeve is not too long or too short?

mulceber

TBH, I have no idea, but I don't think that measurement would be all that helpful, because most men's shirts measure from the neck to the cuff, as opposed to from the shoulder. You know your own body. Are you tall and/or lanky? Do you regularly have to go for long sizes when buying clothes? If the answer is no, then order regular length for your size. If you regularly have to go long, then it might be useful to take some measurements from jackets that fit you well and have a conversation with the manufacturer.

Last edited:

B-Man2

X+ The longitudinal axis of Y ?? :D
Please forgive me G1 fan, I’m not making fun of you but this is funny. As Mulceber suggested the best and the easiest way to accomplish a reasonably good fit and sleeve length is to take a jacket that you think fits you nicely and measure the sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff. If you like add an extra inch for the creasing of the sleeve leather which over time will take place and cause the sleeves to shorten a bit . The second option is to go with a standard military size and fit that have standard length sleeves for each size jacket .
We’ve all been where you are at some point, which is when we were about to order our first jacket and we questioned what sizes were should consider. After a few more orders you’ll know your measurements by heart and it won’t be so questionable. Oh and one more way to check your sleeve length is to simply have someone use a measuring tape and measure from the tip of you shoulder where the arm meets the shoulder down the length of your arm to wear you want the knits to end, but do it twice, once with your arms down and again with them extended as the sleeves will ride up a bit on extension .
I hope that helps .

g1jacketfan

Thanks! This is a big help.

Is the knit on a G1 or A2 supposed to end at the wrist or extend a bit beyond?

I have a wool navy blazer/sport coat that fits me well, and I measured 25" from shoulder seam to cuff. The blazer sleeve ends at the wrist bone.

Based on this blazer measurement, would I want to shoot for a G1 or A2 with a 26" sleeve length, inclusive of the extra inch added to the blazer measurement to accommodate a flight jacket leather crease?

I'm 5' 9" 155lbs with a 42" chest. Trim build.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I hope you were referring to my post . The center of the neck to the end of the sleeve isn’t the way to measure. Please go back and read my last again.
Good luck with it all

g1jacketfan

I hope you were referring to my post . The center of the neck to the end of the sleeve isn’t the way to measure. Please go back and read my last again.
Good luck with it all

Edited my post. It was a typo. I measured like you said -- shoulder seam to cuff. 25 inches on the blazer.

JonnyCrow

X+ The longitudinal axis of Y ?? :D
Please forgive me G1 fan, I’m not making fun of you but this is funny. As Mulceber suggested the best and the easiest way to accomplish a reasonably good fit and sleeve length is to take a jacket that you think fits you nicely and measure the sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff. If you like add an extra inch for the creasing of the sleeve leather which over time will take place and cause the sleeves to shorten a bit . The second option is to go with a standard military size and fit that have standard length sleeves for each size jacket .
We’ve all been where you are at some point, which is when we were about to order our first jacket and we questioned what sizes were should consider. After a few more orders you’ll know your measurements by heart and it won’t be so questionable. Oh and one more way to check your sleeve length is to simply have someone use a measuring tape and measure from the tip of you shoulder where the arm meets the shoulder down the length of your arm to wear you want the knits to end, but do it twice, once with your arms down and again with them extended as the sleeves will ride up a bit on extension .
I hope that helps .
If your from Yorkshire England your screwed anyway, short arms and deep pockets haha ;) Steve Micawber would get that joke :D

Brettafett

Impossible question. Answers will vary depending who you ask. Fits and lengths are all over the place, for both originals and repros.
You have to wear a jacket to figure it out for yourself. What you prefer.

A jacket also 'wears' in over time and this can have an affect on sleeve length.
Creases form under the pits and at the elbows, essentially shortening the 'relative' sleeve length by anywhere around 0.5 to 1 inch
Especially if the jackets gets wet occasionally. This seems to me to apply more to horsehide, than goat.