• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoulder fit?

jschare

What is the opinion on how or where the shoulder seam should fit? I have A-2s and G-1s where the shoulder seam is right at the top of the shoulder notch and some that sit lower on the arm. I think I prefer the seam to be at the top of the shoulder notch before it curves toward the arm.

Just curious for a new thread...

Dr H

For my A-2s, with epaulettes, the sleeve sits well just at the top of the arm (i.e. no droop).

The A-1 is a more rounded pattern (lacking epaulettes) and sits more neatly/is more trim at the shoulder, but also sits at the top of the arm.

If these fit well then the jacket tends not to ride up when arms are raised.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yes, I like any leather jacket to fit squared up on the shoulders. On an A-2, for me, that means an epaulet length of around 6".

In a size 48 A-2 I've seen shoulder to shoulder from 18" to 22" from many makers, which will effect the epaulets length from 7" to 8 1/2" so it's very important to know your size. I like jackets squared up on the shoulders also.

RCSignals

I prefer squared up on the shoulder as well.

'Modern' fashion preference of many seems to be to go too large (not just A-2s) with the end of the garment shoulder drooping over the top of arm sometimes by many inches, and a correspondingly too large chest cut.
Maybe that is why a G+B M422a in size 40 has a 52" chest circumference.

wheat1479

My first A-2 was a Cooper goatskin in the 80s.The sleeve and chest were fine,but the shoulders were 20 across.I tried a smaller size but the chest and neck were too tight.I like a 17-18 but no more.I wear a size 38 a-2. Its a ELC roughwear about 17.50-17.75.

RCSignals

I agree wheat, you can start to get into odd ratios for fit going up and down in sizing. For example to get closer to a real size 40 chest fit in the current G+B M422a, you almost have to go to a size 36, but then other areas such as shoulder fit and sleeve length are off, and going to a Tall doesn't improve it. Some companies patterns are just 'odd'.

CBI

a lot depends on the contract. sometimes a droopy look (a little), looks pretty cool, the straight/smart approach can also work. also depends on body type/shoulder width. Sometimes a slight extension of the shoulder line can help make a narrow, droop shoulder person look a little better. The list goes on ......... :shock:

RCSignals

Agreed CBI. WW2 photos show a variety of fit for A-2s.

It's also effected by the jacket being zipped up or open.