• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shortening the sleeves on a cockpit G-1 + Fit ques

rob20uk

Hi All,

Just a quick question, is it worth shortening the sleeves on a new mill spec cockpit G-1 so that I don’t get the bunched over the knits look? I know the cockpit jacket has a reputation for having longer sleeves than most.

If so can you recommend anyone in the U.K.? I am not sure if Aero do it forjackets they don’t make.

Also have you any thoughts on the fit of this jacket? Not sure if this is how they are meant to fit or if I should size down one size.

Thanks for your advice and sorry for the bad pictures. I’ll try to take some better ones tomorrow.

E81762B6-599C-425E-A1D5-CD4BB7C69AEF.jpeg

16FFAAF6-D6F8-4E73-8B27-2A4A42E99A5C.jpeg

A29A228A-3A0B-4C37-87A4-866C76449F2F.jpeg

04AB647C-18FE-470A-ADC1-078125EC2A5C.jpeg

34D677FC-F950-4639-818F-B3612CAE6338.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi All,

Just a quick question, is it worth shortening the sleeves on a new mill spec cockpit G-1 so that I don’t get the bunched over the knits look? I know the cockpit jacket has a reputation for having longer sleeves than most.

If so can you recommend anyone in the U.K.? I am not sure if Aero do it forjackets they don’t make.

Also have you any thoughts on the fit of this jacket? Not sure if this is how they are meant to fit or if I should size down one size.

Thanks for your advice and sorry for the bad pictures. I’ll try to take some better ones tomorrow.

View attachment 54555

View attachment 54556

View attachment 54557

View attachment 54558
Honestly man ... you really need to take photos in a little better lighting . Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to answer your questions as responsibly as possible and it’s hard to see the jacket . Ok back to your question . I would just wear the jacket for 6 months to a year as the sleeves will shorten on their own from wrinkling and getting normal wear folds . If your still not happy with it then you can get it shortened .
Cheers

rob20uk

Thanks for the feedback. I have just updated the pictures so hopefully that helps more.

Micawber

Wear the hell out of the jacket in all weathers for a few months or a year then reassess the length. Basically break it in first to give the creases time to develop and the whole thing to mould to your shape before contemplating alterations

Silver Surfer

try soaking each sleeve in out of the tap running hot water, and then putting the jacket on and bending the elbows, like you were lifting weights. that will shorten them a little. see how it looks-feels when the sleeves are dry. repeat if ya need to get to where you are comfy with the sleeve length. easier and cheaper than having the sleeves shortened.

Brettafett

I think the fit looks OK, possibly a touch short in the body, but yes, the sleeves are on the long side.
How does it feel though, you comfy, sleeves aside?

Cockpit makes a decent jacket.

In the UK, besides Aeo (worth a try), I can highly recommend Donna Howard <[email protected]>
She used to work with Cirrus, making flight jackets, she replaced the knits on my AVI LTHR G-1 and did an impeccable job.

Also Byson leather. Ive used them a couple of times, but with cared success.

bhjacket20

I had a repro A-2 in horsehide that was too big on me, I wet it thoroughly in warm water and put it into a warm dryer (not hot) till it was just damp. Then I laid it out flat for a few days and let it dry, flipping it a few times. That reduced it about a size for me.

Maybe you could do just the sleeves on your G-1?

Brettafett

Yes, this works with horse, but not goat.

You have to be careful with the hwt/ cwt (hot or cold water treatment). In some cases it works wonders, but can also yield unexpected results. Wont damage anything, byut amount of shrinkage is a big ???
Also how it affects the zipper etc. Be cautious of the knits also, soaked they could loosen well up.

B-Man2

Once again I think that you should just wear your new jacket and give it some time to develop the folds and wrinkles in the sleeves that will develop from wearing it . If you get the sleeves shortened right out of the box, you’ll be having an issue with sleeves that are a little short for you down the road . Of course it’s your jacket and the choice is yours. So best of luck with whatever you decide.

rob20uk

Thanks for all your help. I have decided that I am going to take 2/3 of an inch off the sleeves. This should make the jacket more inline with the length of my other G-1s.

It's in the post to Donna. I will post some pictures once I get it back.