• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shit, what do I do?

Hawkeye

So last month I sell an Irvin a guy in England. I made a mistake with shipping costs and only charged him for international surface shipping, which takes 4-6 weeks. So I send it international surface and tell him the time involved. Item was shipped on Feb 14th. Its been 5 weeks, and he has filed a dispute with paypal. Theyve now placed a hold on 776.00 on my paypal account. The tracking number still shows the item in transit. He claims he's waited long enough and wants "closure" on the item. what will paypal do, and more importantly, what can I do? I've never had a dispute filed with me before and I have no idea how to proceed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

If the item was insured, file a claim. Also call paypal and tell them you have proof the item was shipped, they may ask for verification.

shanghai joe

too late now but I withdraw the funds out of paypal before shipping........hence one of my terms are item will be despatched once funds clear. And don't have any funds in your bank account where paypal transferred funds to.......

mazeta

That sucks.
At this point, all you probably do is to try and reason with the buyer to be patient. Once the buyer initiates the claim, the burden will be on the seller to prove that the item was sent. I'm not sure if 'proof of mailing' is enough for PayPal to rule on your side, and the fact that 5 weeks have lapsed is not going to help your case.
Unfortunately, PayPal seems to side more with buyers in these situations, and it's why you should protect yourself in the future by only shipping via methods that can be trackable (e.g., Global Express Mail here in the US). You should not have sent that jacket surface mail. You should have instead just absorbed the extra cost to send it via a trackable method, and/or re-bill the buyer BEFORE sending it for the difference.
I did the exact same shipping miscalculation recently on an item I just sold. I screwed up and quoted the buyer $45, but once I got to the PO actual charges turned out to be ~$68.

mazeta

shanghai joe said:
too late now but I withdraw the funds out of paypal before shipping........hence one of my terms are item will be despatched once funds clear. And don't have any funds in your bank account where paypal transferred funds to.......
Yes. Keep an empty PayPal balance at all times. I empty my account as soon as the payment posts.

shanghai joe

Hawkeye said:
So last month I sell an Irvin a guy in England. I made a mistake with shipping costs and only charged him for international surface shipping, which takes 4-6 weeks. So I send it international surface and tell him the time involved. Item was shipped on Feb 14th. Its been 5 weeks, and he has filed a dispute with paypal. Theyve now placed a hold on 776.00 on my paypal account. The tracking number still shows the item in transit. He claims he's waited long enough and wants "closure" on the item. what will paypal do, and more importantly, what can I do? I've never had a dispute filed with me before and I have no idea how to proceed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

hang loose and keep us updated.......try not to sweat in your jocks, OK?!

shanghai joe

mazeta said:
That sucks.
At this point, all you probably do is to try and reason with the buyer to be patient. Once the buyer initiates the claim, the burden will be on the seller to prove that the item was sent. I'm not sure if 'proof of mailing' is enough for PayPal to rule on your side, and the fact that 5 weeks have lapsed is not going to help your case.
Unfortunately, PayPal seems to side more with buyers in these situations, and it's why you should protect yourself in the future by only shipping via methods that can be trackable (e.g., Global Express Mail here in the US). You should not have sent that jacket surface mail. You should have instead just absorbed the extra cost to send it via a trackable method, and/or re-bill the buyer BEFORE sending it for the difference.
I did the exact same shipping miscalculation recently on an item I just sold. I screwed up and quoted the buyer $45, but once I got to the PO actual charges turned out to be ~$68.

did you absorb the extra cost..........grin and bear :? or like the natives say.......the mute having a bee in his mouth :eek: ........or pass it on??? :lol:

shanghai joe

Hawkeye said:

hawkeye, what's buyer feedback like?

mazeta

shanghai joe said:
mazeta said:
That sucks.

did you absorb the extra cost..........grin and bear :? or like the natives say.......the mute having a bee in his mouth :eek: ........or pass it on??? :lol:

It was bad enough I had to wait in line forever at the post office to send the package, and I wasn't going to turn back and waste more time emailing the buyer for $23, I just absorbed it. I screwed up and should have quoted the buyer the right amount in the first place.

shanghai joe

mazeta said:
shanghai joe said:
mazeta said:
That sucks.

It was bad enough I had to wait in line forever at the post office to send the package, and I wasn't going to turn back and waste more time emailing the buyer for $23, I just absorbed it. I screwed up and should have quoted the buyer the right amount in the first place.

failure is the mother of success.....

so you paid the price, learn and move on to.........prosperity.

I'd have done the same thing.........but NO re-runs!

HHjackets

shanghai joe said:
........And don't have any funds in your bank account where paypal transferred funds to.......

this is from paypal website:

Q: Will PayPal have access to withdraw funds from my bank account without my permission?
A : No. PayPal will only withdraw or add funds with your permission.

shanghai joe

HHjackets said:
shanghai joe said:
........And don't have any funds in your bank account where paypal transferred funds to.......

Q: Will PayPal have access to withdraw funds from my bank account without my permission?

but we did agree to set up a direct debit as part of our verification process, nes't ce pas?

HHjackets

Hawkeye said:
... The tracking number still shows the item in transit....

Q: How do I prove that I shipped an item?
A:Delivery companies that offer online tracking are recommended. If your delivery service does not offer online tracking, we will ask you to provide an online reference number and fax or upload a copy of the receipt that you received when you shipped the item.

Q: What methods of online tracking are acceptable?
A: The following options may be used:

* Parcelforce
* Royal Mail
* U.S. Postal Service
* UPS
* FedEx
* Airborne Express
* DHL

(this bit is for UK)
Note: Royal Mail does not officially provide online tracking (with proof of delivery) for the International Signed For service. In some instances however, delivery details may be available online. If these details map to the buyer's shipping address shown on the Transaction Details page, PayPal may consider it as sufficient proof of delivery. However, since availability of delivery details cannot be predicted, sellers may not be able to rely on this method for proof of delivery in order to be covered by PayPal's Seller Protection Policy.

HHjackets

shanghai joe said:
HHjackets said:
shanghai joe said:

but we did agree to set up a direct debit as part of our verification process, nes't ce pas?

i found this on the paypal website:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... ive-policy

4.5 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. This means that you will be responsible for the amount of the payment, plus the applicable Fees listed in section 8 of this Agreement if you lose a Claim or a Chargeback, or if there is a Reversal of the payment. You agree to allow PayPal to recover any amounts due to PayPal by debiting your Balance. If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. If the transaction is eligible under the Seller Protection Policy in section 11, PayPal will cover the amount of the Reversal or Chargeback and waive the Chargeback Fee, if applicable.

g. "Balance" means any money that you have in your PayPal Account. The terms "money" and "funds" are used interchangeably in this Agreement.

correct me if im wrong but from what i understand, it doesn't say paypal will debit your bank account.

shanghai joe

play the game..........NO paypal........bank draft/wire transfer.......... IMO for small amounts.

on the minus side tho, no paypal means less bidders.

personally I'll accept paypal for small sums........

shanghai joe

A : No. PayPal will only withdraw or add funds with your permission.[/quote]

but we did agree to set up a direct debit as part of our verification process, nes't ce pas?[/quote]

4.5 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. This means that you will be responsible for the amount of the payment, plus the applicable Fees listed in section 8 of this Agreement if you lose a Claim or a Chargeback, or if there is a Reversal of the payment. You agree to allow PayPal to recover any amounts due to PayPal by debiting your Balance. If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. If the transaction is eligible under the Seller Protection Policy in section 11, PayPal will cover the amount of the Reversal or Chargeback and waive the Chargeback Fee, if applicable.

g. "Balance" means any money that you have in your PayPal Account. The terms "money" and "funds" are used interchangeably in this Agreement.

correct me if im wrong but from what i understand, it doesn't say paypal will debit your bank account.[/quote]

you sound right.........

HHjackets

shanghai joe said:

but we did agree to set up a direct debit as part of our verification process, nes't ce pas?[/quote]

correct me if im wrong but from what i understand, it doesn't say paypal will debit your bank account.[/quote]

you sound right.........[/quote]

i hate reading those user agrrements, but i did learn a few things myself!!

shanghai joe

HHjackets said:
shanghai joe said:

you sound right.........[/quote]

i hate reading those user agrrements, but i did learn a few things myself!![/quote]

HHJ,

Just realised that you're from fab London town......maybe we can meet up!

Joe

Jason

I've learnt two things about international postage from here in Australia:

1) Postal quotes are anything but. I can get a quote from the post office one day, take it there a few days later after the buyer has agreed to the postal costs quoted, and the postal cost for the quoted service has changed!! Sometimes in my favour (in which case I notify the seller and let them know I owe them the difference) or sometimes more expensive (in which case I take the hit myself)

2) Postal shipping times are WAY out from those quoted. Eg:
Express quote: 1 week. Actual: 2 weeks.
Surface mail quote: 6-8 weeks. Actual: 5 months.

I never ever send anything surface mail, and I never offer that option to a seller for this very reason - we both run the risk of such delays causing one to run out of patience and make a pre-emptive claim.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Hawkeye, hope the seller can be convinced to wait. There's nothing you can do for him, since its in the hands of the shipping agents now. If he makes a claim, he'll eventually end up with the jacket (which he may or may not return) and money refunded to him! Perhaps if things look really grim, offer to refund him some dollars for his wait and to pacify him into not making the claim & chargeback. It might be better to do this than risk the chargeback.