• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shirt, Flying, Heavy, Type A-1

Tokyo Jones

Was just reviewing the A-1 thread, which naturally lead me to quickly peruse evilBay, when I came across this. Looks interesting. Has anyone seen one of these before?

watchmanjimg

I've seen them, as well as the blue version. Contrary to the listing, they're post-WW2 and from the early days of the USAF. I believe the blue shirts and corresponding trousers were worn in the film Strategic Air Command.

deand

I have a D-1A cap and the pants that go with that style shirt. I cannot find photographic evidence of that cap ever being worn. You'd think one picture existed somewhere. I should win that auction then I would have a complete set. Which it sounds like no one would value much. ;)

dean

watchmanjimg

They may not be worth much money, but these garments are classic Cold War and in my opinion are great additions to any USAF collection.

deand

This is curious, the stamp has "U. S. Air Forces" under the winged star. That transitional period must have been tough to keep up with for the QM. The pants and cap I have are blue, so I wonder what year they changed.

DSC09523_001.jpg

dean

Tim P

I plan to get a set at some point. they are classic. I will get blue. got to find an xl L1 or ~L1a preferably first that hasnt shrunk to a medium.

Tokyo Jones

That's a nice example as well. So these were workshirts assigned to the groundcrew, then? Does anyone have pictures of them being worn?

USMC_GAU-21

Oh no I am bidding on that one Dean :shock:

Yes, they are a great addition to any USAF Cold War collection. I have the Sage green sets, and only one set of the Blue trousers. They were worn under the Heavy Flying trousers and jackets during missions on the B-36, B-47 and early in the B-52. Probably other aircraft as well, that had no heat per say.....

Here are mine:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

USMC_GAU-21

Oh, No worries Brother! I thought I was the only one interested in the clothing ;)

that is what eBay is for. Hey I took down my L-2B's and will PM you with a few that might fit.

r/Dan

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
The pants and cap I have are blue, so I wonder what year they changed.

The blue A-1A shirt, and E-1A trousers, are from 1951. Followed by the A-1B, and E-1B in green from 1953 through to 1958.

deand

deeb7 said:
deand said:
The pants and cap I have are blue, so I wonder what year they changed.

The blue A-1A shirt, and E-1A trousers, are from 1951. Followed by the A-1B, and E-1B in green from 1953 through to 1958.

The green came later? I would have thought the other way, then, it seems consistent with the shift in nylon from blue to sage. And yet, can anyone produce photographic examples of the full uniform, or at least the caps, in service wear by personnel. These must be the most underrepresented in pictures of any uniforms in military history. I'm getting a copy of Strategic Air Command for Christmas and I will be studying it carefully for this uniform.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
The green came later? I would have thought the other way, then, it seems consistent with the shift in nylon from blue to sage.

Yes, the first ones (A-1) were that khaki/mustard colour, followed by blue, then the green.

Tim P

deeb7 said:
deand said:
The green came later? I would have thought the other way, then, it seems consistent with the shift in nylon from blue to sage.

Yes, the first ones (A-1) were that khaki/mustard colour, followed by blue, then the green.

;)
which follows nylon practice exactly.

USMC_GAU-21

Dean,

Do you have the Japanese book "SUIT UP! THE FLIGHT JACKET". It is on eBay every now and then. On page 148 there is a picture of 2 USAF mannequins and the one on the right is wearing a A-1B Flight Shirt in sage. It is the only picture I have seen as well. I will look in another USAF reference book I have at home.

"SAC" with Jimmie Stewart has some shots of the crew in these wool shirts and trousrs you have to look quick, but they are in there. With modern DVD pause ou can probably get a clear view of some very nice flight gear in that movie.

r - Dan

deand

[quote="deeb7]Yes, the first ones (A-1) were that khaki/mustard colour, followed by blue, then the green.[/quote]

I misidentified the khaki/mustard color as "green". I should have been more precise in my terminology. The khaki/ mustard color must be rarer then, right? I've seen one D-1A cap in that k/m scheme on the net.

dean

deand

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Dean,

Do you have the Japanese book "SUIT UP! THE FLIGHT JACKET". It is on eBay every now and then. On page 148 there is a picture of 2 USAF mannequins and the one on the right is wearing a A-1B Flight Shirt in sage. It is the only picture I have seen as well. I will look in another USAF reference book I have at home.

"SAC" with Jimmie Stewart has some shots of the crew in these wool shirts and trousrs you have to look quick, but they are in there. With modern DVD pause ou can probably get a clear view of some very nice flight gear in that movie.

r - Dan

Ebay, or Amazon, I'll get a copy. Thanks,Dan.

dean