• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shipping to europe

Pope

Is there a problem stating a lower selling price on paperwork. Shipping from U.S. to Spain guy asked me to show lower value. Anyone had problems doing that.

Thanks

Mike

ciddu

The situation should be the same for all Europe, but for my personal direct experience I only can talk about Italy.
Usually it's made to skip import taxes applied on price+transport fee - sometimes they can be arbitrary and very heavy and they by default include duties and VAT which I think shouldn't be applied on used goods.

Anyway, I think there's no problem on the seller side, on the recipient end sometimes the buyer may be asked to show proof of the price paid including transport , like Paypal transaction printing or credit card statement, or else custom fees will be applied on a so called "standard " value.
The declaration of a "gift" with "zero" value is not accepted anymore.
Of course if the shipping is insured, the insurance covers only the declared value.

Hope it can be of some help.
cheers

Pope

Thanks guys........that's pretty much what I figured. I have shipped to Italy, Germany, France and England without problems but never to Spain. I did explain to him about the insurance though.

Mike

a2jacketpatches

I've have a couple issues sending to Spain, and considering I hardly ever ship there the odds aren't so good. A small inexpensive item was lost en-route there just a few weeks ago. Another was quite the horror story, it's a long one but here's the jist of it. Asked to declare a lesser value, shipment was delayed in customs so he filed an item not received dispute, I couldn't say much because I falsified the customs form, at the same time paypal withheld the full amount as recorded in their system anyway. It made it there and he lifted the dispute but I was pretty pissed. We had done business before without an issue and I assured him I would absorb the loss if the shipment didn't make it. He just told me to please understand yad yada yada. Some guys here may remember him as the Spanish guy using JC's Goodwear photos to sell cheap jackets. Bottom line, Spain is very problematic, two shipment in 6 months and two problems. Also. both of these guys seemed very trigger happy and short in their messages. I think Spain will be blocked from now on in my Ebay. I hate to peg the whole country for two guys, Buuuuut, two guys and two issues in six months? Also, same thing seems to happen with Mexico.

Skyhawk

Never state a lesser value than it's worth and always get full insurance. I speak from experience. If something bad happens, you are responsible. The nickels and dimes saved by the buyers customs fees are not worth the risk. You can send originals as a "Item of historical significance" There is a tariff code for that and it is EXEMPT from customs fees. I will try to track that down and post it here. I have used it. Worked like a charm.

Skyhawk

H tariff Code: 9705.00.70 - Archaeological, historical, or ethnographic pieces "Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archeological, paleontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest."
= Duty Free

Put the code in the tariff code box on the customs form.

a2jacketpatches

For the most part, no problem recurring on a regular basis and only a handful of missing items in two decades. Mexico and Spain are very risky so if you speak Spanish, sorry. However, since I've been helping guys out this way, I've got my international sale back up to where they were years ago. I use First Class because it's basically the same thing as Priority without the colorful packaging, and the duty fees are truly ridiculous. I remember when Priority hit 23.95, international sales were almost non-existant. I'll only declare a lesser value if asked though, this way I can put the squeeze on a guy that'll bounce any problems back to me.

The Spanish A2 jacket guy here - http://a-2leatherflightjacket.com/index ... &id_lang=4 Filed a PP dispute because his package was delayed for a few weeks. Come to find out in the end that it was simply waiting for him in customs. But in the mean time he filed a Paypal dispute trying to get his money back, were talking about 900 bucks here. Well the dumass must have forgot about asking me via email to declare a lesser value so I reminded him. He came back at me with something like "you'll be in trouble for falsifying the documents" Ok if you say so, the Spanish Customs office can kiss my azz for one, and the U.S. Customs office doesn't give a damn unless it's being imported. After he signed for and picked up his package, the PP dispute was lifted and shortly there after he must have been contacted by customs because he lost his mind on me in an email. I forwarded the email from him where he blatantly asks to deceice his Customs office to avoid paying the appropriate taxes. Then I basically told him to pound tar and keep his money from now on. He'll never get another item from me again. Moral of the story, if he asks, fine and all should go well. If he tries to screw ya, NOOOOOOOOO, screw YOUUUUUUU. :lol:

In reality, the only way to avoid any issues like this is to not do business overseas. You will refund the money in most cases whether your fault or not. End of story.

littlebuddy

Skyhawk said:
H tariff Code: 9705.00.70 - Archaeological, historical, or ethnographic pieces "Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archeological, paleontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest."
= Duty Free

Put the code in the tariff code box on the customs form.

Thats a new code on me !!!
a2jacketpatches said:
For the most part, no problem recurring on a regular basis and only a handful of missing items in two decades. Mexico and Spain are very risky so if you speak Spanish, sorry. However, since I've been helping guys out this way, I've got my international sale back up to where they were years ago. I use First Class because it's basically the same thing as Priority without the colorful packaging, and the duty fees are truly ridiculous. I remember when Priority hit 23.95, international sales were almost non-existant. I'll only declare a lesser value if asked though, this way I can put the squeeze on a guy that'll bounce any problems back to me.

The Spanish A2 jacket guy here - http://a-2leatherflightjacket.com/index ... &id_lang=4 Filed a PP dispute because his package was delayed for a few weeks. Come to find out in the end that it was simply waiting for him in customs. But in the mean time he filed a Paypal dispute trying to get his money back, were talking about 900 bucks here. Well the dumass must have forgot about asking me via email to declare a lesser value so I reminded him. He came back at me with something like "you'll be in trouble for falsifying the documents" Ok if you say so, the Spanish Customs office can kiss my azz for one, and the U.S. Customs office doesn't give a damn unless it's being imported. After he signed for and picked up his package, the PP dispute was lifted and shortly there after he must have been contacted by customs because he lost his mind on me in an email. I forwarded the email from him where he blatantly asks to deceice his Customs office to avoid paying the appropriate taxes. Then I basically told him to pound tar and keep his money from now on. He'll never get another item from me again. Moral of the story, if he asks, fine and all should go well. If he tries to screw ya, NOOOOOOOOO, screw YOUUUUUUU. :lol:

In reality, the only way to avoid any issues like this is to not do business overseas. You will refund the money in most cases whether your fault or not. End of story.

We are not all like that in Europe you know !!! im in the UK and havnt had one bit of hassle with anyone ive dealt with in the US , but obviously it seems like there are some out there who are after scamming anybody for anything
Do you guys in the US have any hassle in buying from us in the UK ??

a2jacketpatches

Think he was kidding, anyway, I've got a huge following all over Europe and I'm very willing to help you guys out on the inflated BS import duty thing. You fellers put that steak on my table last night and I thank ya kindly for it. :D

littlebuddy

a2jacketpatches said:
Think he was kidding, anyway, I've got a huge following all over Europe and I'm very willing to help you guys out on the inflated BS import duty thing. You fellers put that steak on my table last night and I thank ya kindly for it. :D

Glad you enjoyed it !!! :D

Got any original squadron patches BTW ???

Carl

a2jacketpatches

all of my shipping overseas consists of my hand made patches. Check em out here if you didn't know - http://stores.ebay.com/a2jacketpatches/

But I just started picking up Korean war era stuff about a year ago the day I found my 1980's unit in 1950's period form. Early style cut edge construction, large size, colorful, and most of the qualities of WW2 patches at an affordable price. You can actually find them out in the field here at swap meets, estate and yard sales. Nothing for sale, I like them too much. But here's the latest from last week, 50 bucks and happy to pay it.

And here's what got me started, I was at Loring AFB 42 BW in the 80's but our patches were merrowed edge and small 3 inches or so. Can only find the SAC picture but the 42nd BW is just as big about 4.5 inches and they will both go on my next personal flight jacket.

And anything theater made from Vietnam in the 60's, got this one for 20 bucks at the swap meet.

Kinda kicking myself because I sold most of these, VN Japan made is pretty cool as well

a2jacketpatches

littlebuddy said:
I have a few Navy patches that you might be interested in then if you like that sort of thing !! :)

Carl
Sure, PM me some pics. I'm heading out in a minute but will get back with you later.

Rutger

I more or less stopped buying in the US because nowadays most auctions are part of the program that has Ebay calculate and add the customs charges as a service to whoever deserves that service (probably ebay making money out of it).
When I bought from the US I clearly stated that I accept the risk of having a lower insured amount when requesting downgrading the value.
It saved me a shitload of money that my government would have claimed I woud have gotten nothing in return for, and the only thing that never arrived was a $29.99 (including shipping !) original MA-1. Never bothered filing a complaint as sometimes shit happens.

littlebuddy

Rutger said:
I more or less stopped buying in the US because nowadays most auctions are part of the program that has Ebay calculate and add the customs charges as a service to whoever deserves that service (probably ebay making money out of it).
When I bought from the US I clearly stated that I accept the risk of having a lower insured amount when requesting downgrading the value.
It saved me a shitload of money that my government would have claimed I woud have gotten nothing in return for, and the only thing that never arrived was a $29.99 (including shipping !) original MA-1. Never bothered filing a complaint as sometimes sh*t happens.

Same here Rutger , that global shipping crap Ebay has conjured up to me has killed any good deal now from overseas :(

Import duty here in the UK is just a ****** joke !!! :evil:

LB

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, it automatically checks itself with every new listing, even when you use the sell similar option, sneaky bastards. All other info and details remain the same as the last item sold. I uncheck the box every time. A simply google search of that program give the straight skinny on it.

chamboid

I have to say import tax here is far too high, and is crippling. Especially on a used item, which its vale is only subjective. I can understand for electronic good or new items of clothing. A balance has to be made. But on vintage items it should be exempt.

If road tax is exempt on vintage cars of a certain ages, what's wrong with other vintage items? Essentially, tax has been paid on the item at some point, how many times should you get taxed for the same item?