• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shinki A-2 from RMC

solo

I've unloaded most of my jackets made in steer and suede and decided to keep things simple with just a couple of nice HH jackets. I love Vicenza leather that Aero uses, but one that stands out for me in terms of character and uniqueness is the HH made by Shinki. So here's my Real McCoy A-2 in Shinki that's been aging quite nicely. I am a little surprised that it hasn't aged faster, as the dark paint is supposed to wear off to show the brown tea core. Sometimes, I've been tempted to distress the jacket with some sandpaper, and HWT, but decided to let the jacket take its course naturally. Shinki is similar in touch and weight to Vicenza, but there is something that is so unique about it that I can't quite put my finger on it. The smell, ruggedness, the sound, creases and subtle texture and shades of color in the finish, all make it one of the most unique jackets I've owned.

I love the simplicity of the A2 model, but my kids always tell me, "I don't like that brown fabric on your sleeve and the bottom. They make you look like an old man." :)

This particular A2 is not an accurate repro of any original contracts. It's RMC's interpretation of what a modern A2 should look like. Every RW contact I tried were quite more relaxed and roomy especially in the torso area, and this one is probably the most slim fitting A2s out there.

This jacket looks really trim on me, and, I have sometimes wished that it was a tad roomier on the shoulder and the chest especially when the zipper is closed. The RMC charges nearly $2100 for this puppy these days, and one could do much better by going custom with some of the more accurate repro manufacturers for much better price.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the fit as I am thinking a size larger may be a better fit for this style. The jacket wears very comfortable, but it's only when I zip it up that the shoulders get tight. But, who wears A2s with the zipper all the way up?

RMC-A2.jpg
RMC-A2-2.jpg
RMC-A2-3.jpg

ausreenactor

Here we go! Great way to burst out of the gate. Stunning jacket. In my experience my Buzz and RM A-2s have been made with the best hides. My Buzz Ricskson Rough Wear A-2 probably has the best overall hide on any A-2 I have owned in two decades of jacket hunting. I was so intent on 'flipping' jackets in 2008 (moved 40 Japanese jackets on eBay that year) that putting all the funds into guns and WWII repro kit became my new passion. I sold on a LOT of keepers that I regret letting go. When you get a jacket that you look forward to wearing you only need the one!

Welcome and thanks!

Couchy

solo

Or keep buying until you find another one that comes close?

Funny you mentioned BR. I once bought one from Japan that had the best HH I had ever seen but the fit was really weird with a really high collar. It was 1756 “unknown maker”, I believe. I found this shortly after letting that one go.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Funny you mentioned BR. I had bought one from Japan that had the best HH I had seen but the fit was really weird with really high collar. It was 1756 no name contract I believe. I found this shortly after letting that one go.
1756.... ? Do you mean the 1755 contract maybe? That would have been the last Dubow contract . Basically a seal colored A2 with purplish knits. Nice looking combination.

ausreenactor

There is no such thing. It's human nature. But it looks like the 'Holy Grail' posts will be forthcoming. Wait and see. ;)

Saint-ex

Nice pictures. They are really beautiful, it changes pictures taken on cellphone.

And nice jacket to. Fit is tight but looks good.

mulceber

I've been tempted to distress the jacket with some sandpaper, and HWT, but decided to let the jacket take its course naturally.

Don’t do a thing with that jacket except wear it. It’s aging beautifully!

I love the simplicity of the A2 model, but my kids always tell me, "I don't like that brown fabric on your sleeve and the bottom. They make you look like an old man." :)

So, basically, they want you to wear an Indiana Jones jacket...

Flightengineer

Nice jacket and nice fit. If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about anything.
As for " look like an old man" ...tell them about the young guys who flew in such jackets once and I think your kids will change their minds.

Bombing IP

I was told by an artisan of leather from NYC that the best leather to be found was in France at the exposition shows where you could negotiate and have a touchy feely . When I was in Texas at the Lucchese store they also said their leather came from France . Can anyone comment on this ? .

Jeff

Last edited:

solo

I was told by an artisan of leather from NYC that the best leather to be found was in France at the exposition shows where you could negotiate and have a touchy feely . When I was in Texas at the Lucchese store they also said their leather came from France . Can anyone comment on this ? .

Jeff
I am not sure about French leather, but most of the high end leathers are coming from tanneries in Vicenza, Italy. It may be true that France is producing some unique and artisan quality leather, but I haven't seen them in mass market. The jacket in this post is made of horsehide from Shinki tannery in Japan. It's become one of my favorite leather when it comes to touch, texture, crease and mould pattern. Vicenza is nice, but is a bit rubbery compared to Shinki. I'd love to know about this French Artisan leather.

Bombing IP

No I did not mean French leather but where it seems to be the place to buy it in bulk from producers all over the world in one place that being France .

Jeff

ausreenactor

Not sure that France is famous for jacket hides. I can appreciate that they would demand high quality garments that don't restrict movement. The need to easily raise the arms above one's head was a testing criteria for decades.

;)