• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Semper Fi & Big Beautiful Doll & Another Tiger

442RCT

When you wear a painted A-2 with fresh warpaint, guys will always approach you and ask, "Who or where did you get that jacket painted ?" If you're at a luncheon for fighter aces, the wrong answer is, "Um, I did it myself." This usually leads to, "I've got this A-2 that I'd love to have painted can you do one for me ?" The really bad thing is after I got done with a project, I really didn't want to return it to the owner, I wanted to keep it for myself. These jackets were designed by the owners. Big Beautiful Doll was a photo he took of a model airplane that he'd set up to get the angle right. Semper Fi guy wanted a P-38, I didn't know the Marines flew P-38's, but hey it was his jacket. To this day, I couldn't tell you what brand these jackets were, I probably wouldn't have tried to paint them if I knew they were really, really expensive. I'd be afraid I'd mess them up and have to replace them if I did.

image0-4.jpg

image0-5.jpg

This jacket was another one of my Flying Tiger jackets. I acquired a G-1, too small for me to wear, (and yes it had a real mouton collar...I didn't know better back then), and I asked the person who I was getting my aviation prints from if he'd trade a jacket for a framed print. He said sure, but he wanted the jacket for a store sign. *shrug*, hey it was his to do with what he wanted. When his store was open for business, the jacket was put on the sidewalk, with James Dean wearing it. As far as I know, none has tried to steal it.

image0-1-1.jpg