• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sellers Beware

Jaydee

I woke up to a nasty surprise this morning. My listing was cancelled on ebay because of a new policy (Jan 15th) banning the use of money orders at all, on most items. I called to inquire why they would not let sellers know of this change, the......uh......gentleman...replied that the seller is responsible to review the policies, and that there are changes all the time (Boy! Are There Ever!!) :x

Roughwear

They want Ebay to become entirely a Paypal zone. When I tried to list my 1401p collection last weekend I mentioned in the description that there was a Western Union telegram from the vet, but Ebay picked up on the words Western Union and thought I was allowing payment through money orders, so I have to amend the listing! They have eyes everywhere! :eek:

John Lever

Roughwear said:
They want Ebay to become entirely a Paypal zone. When I tried to list my 1401p collection last weekend I mentioned in the description that there was a Western Union telegram from the vet, but Ebay picked up on the words Western Union and thought I was allowing payment through money orders, so I have to amend the listing! They have eyes everywhere! :eek:
They have software that looks for certain phrases. e.g. cash, cheque no paypal

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
They have software that looks for certain phrases. e.g. cash, cheque no paypal

I guessed as much-Big Brother watching us! He's everywhere these days. :roll:

mazeta

I received an automated email from eBay a few months ago warning me about the change (as well as other policy changes). I don't know if it is limited to Powersellers, but eBay does periodically send out these types of emails.

asiamiles

John Lever said:
They have software that looks for certain phrases. e.g. cash, cheque

Yes, I had an auction pulled minutes after listing it for that reason...yet every one of my other listings has exactly the same wording; who knows how it all works!

havocpaul

They have some system scanning for certain words...I had listed an old 1970's Colditz game and carefully painted out the swastika on the pics but in the description I wrote it had the swastika on the box to show it was the original game...they pulled it under 'offensive and racial hatred' rules with a stern warning about doing it again! Relisted description as wartime German Reich symbol!!

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
I had listed an old 1970's Colditz game and carefully painted out the swastika on the pics but in the description I wrote it had the swastika on the box to show it was the original game...they pulled it under 'offensive and racial hatred' rules

eBay is a total joke...it's very annoying we have to use and rely on it.