• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Security Aviation Togs

Chandler

I did find a couple articles that touch on the Iron Mountain factory and its origins. The first one suggests that an "Iron Mountain Industrial Committee" was involved and that there was an "Iron Mountain industrial fund" that was helping with finances. So maybe it was a case of the area needing employment for its residents? The second one talks mainly about the early setup of the factory, but the last paragraph says that Louis Horwich visited the city on "routine business," "during which he mentioned that his company might be interested in locating here if a site could be obtained."

Also, I haven't got an exact address yet, but it was in the former Branz building on East Grand Boulevard Circle.
Just looked up the street on Google maps and I know the approximate area.

It's worth checking out the street view to see how remote the area still is. Not sure just where the Branz building was, but the road is so small that it's not even striped. :D

Looks like there's a Branz Mechanical Contractors in IM -- not on the same road, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same family.

mulceber

Just looked up the street on Google maps and I know the approximate area.

It's worth checking out the street view to see how remote the area still is. Not sure just where the Branz building was, but the road is so small that it's not even striped. :D

Looks like there's a Branz Mechanical Contractors in IM -- not on the same road, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same family.

Yeah, I did the same. Kinda reminds me of some streets I lived on growing up.

I wonder if the Branz building was the former site of that business and they vacated it because their business had outgrown it.

Spitfireace

Yup, another good example of a company that chose to embrace its Jewish heritage. They definitely did exist. Levi Strauss is an interesting example though, because middle class people didn't start wearing blue jeans in any real numbers until the company had been around for over a hundred years. Miners needed the jeans, and they couldn't afford to turn their nose up at really durable clothing. Plus, from my (layman's) knowledge, mid-19th century San Francisco was a melting pot of people from all over the place. A name like Levi Strauss wouldn't have stood out as much.
Yes, it was work wear until the fifties. Sixties I guess they started saying "I'm a part of the eschewing the suit class people". The trucker jacket is just so iconic.

ausreenactor

A lot of my original US WWII wools are clearly Jewish named makers. Sigmund Eisner is very common among them. Made a killing out of the killing!

Xopher

This flight suit dates to rough October 1932. All the Talon zips are stamped K2 on the stoppers indicating K=October and 2=1932

This is an all wool one piece flight suit in the collection of the museum I volunteer at.

I believe this to be an early civilian variant of an A-4 maybe even predecessor? Im not sure

I wish I had better photos.

There are two chest pockets
Two knee pockets
Sleeves and legs both have zippers, all stamped K2
And side pants pocket access openings
IMG_8805.jpeg
IMG_8806.jpeg
IMG_8803.jpeg
IMG_8808.jpeg