• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Belt Abrasion on Jackets

rikitiki

Do you wear your jacket in the car and get seatbelt abrasions? Two of my FS jackets, in HH and Goat, have abrasions on the front zipper windflap and on the top left shoulder seam just forward of the epaulets. Colored Pecard's or a little shoe polish covers it up, but still leaves a roughened surface.

Since my black goat FS A-2 is my beater jacket, I'll probably continue to wear it in the car because the Pecarded black abrasion is very hard to see. But my mahogany FS Historical HH A-2 will now come off before I sit down, as well as my FS lambskin.

Do most of you members take off your jackets when driving?

dujardin

hello,

for short drive, i hold my jacket but for a long drive i don't wear her.
precaution about abrasion with safety belt but also to avoid damage on the paint Jerome realise on the back.
byeeeeeeeeee marcel

A

Anonymous

The originals had plenty of 'seat-belt' abrasion. Didn't do them any harm. Surely it is to be desired IF you're looking for the authentic 'look' ..........................

Dave

dujardin

JACKET_ HEAD said:
The originals had plenty of 'seat-belt' abrasion. Didn't do them any harm. Surely it is to be desired IF you're looking for the authentic 'look' ..........................

Dave

you cannot be accurate to the abrasion caused by a H parachute harness in a common car with a single safety belt coming from up-left to down-right. just IMO
or you have to change of car everyday, one day with a car left hand drive and the other with a right hand drive.
or other solution, one day driver, the other day co-pilote...
aso aso

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Jason

I do wear mine (except the originals) while driving. The reason? Where I live is generally a fairly mountainous hilly island, and has winding twisty roads. Driving with a jacket on helps break them in (in the arms and shoulders, anyway) due to all the , ah, "control input". You can see that in my GW Perry where the arms have broken in far more than the body, but yes the seatbelt does abrade the finish at the typical wear points on the windflap and the shoulder.

A

Anonymous

dujardin said:
you cannot be accurate to the abrasion caused by a H parachute harness in a common car with a single safety belt coming from up-left to down-right. just IMO
or you have to change of car everyday, one day with a car left hand drive and the other with a right hand drive.
or other solution, one day driver, the other day co-pilote...
aso aso

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Marcel, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I wrote that ....................................

Dave

mazeta

Not counting precious original named/decorated flight jackets, worrying about seat belt abrasions is akin to worrying about walking with your shoes because of concern that the ground will scratch the soles.
Jackets are meant to be worn.

jacketimp

mazeta said:
Not counting precious original named/decorated flight jackets, worrying about seat belt abrasions is akin to worrying about walking with your shoes because of concern that the ground will scratch the soles.

righto......as if the vets had time to wonder how their A2s will look like where they are in life threatening scenarios.........like are the abrasions on my jacket evenly distributed........

i love the vets who do painting in their jackets............leaving speckles of paint for future collectors

jacketimp

jacketimp said:
mazeta said:

righto......as if the vets had time to wonder how their A2s will look like where they are in life threatening scenarios.........like are the abrasions on my jacket evenly distributed........

i love the vets who do painting in their jackets............leaving speckles of paint for future collectors

besides with repros they are replaceable

Curahee

This kind of discussions always "make my toes curl" like we say over here. Come on for God's sake wear the
hell out of it :x .

Curahee

mazeta said:

That's why (when wearing my Euro 350,- Van Bommel shoes) I walk on my hands all day, does leave some
abrasions on my hands but hey it's worth not damaging my shoes...

greyhound52

Curahee said:
mazeta said:

That's why (when wearing my Euro 350,- Van Bommel shoes) I walk on my hands all day, does leave some

Agree with the both of you. Repro jackets are meant to be worn and worn hard. Just look at Bevan's examples. The man is a human abrasion machine. :D

jacketimp

greyhound52 said:
Curahee said:
mazeta said:

Agree with the both of you. Repro jackets are meant to be worn and worn hard. Just look at Bevan's examples. The man is a human abrasion machine. :D

DWA.....

dudes
with
attitudes............waaaaay to go/wear