• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SEAMSTRESS Prices

Thomas Koehle

Gentlemen,

just for my own interest and because my seamstress is constantly raising her prices i'd be intrested in the money you have to invest for changes/repairs on your stuff.

I'm aware that a direct "comparison" would be difficult coz there is a lot of factors that possibly influence prices but anyway a rough guideline would maybe be interesting.

Repair: Replacement of Knittings on a G1
Quality of work: 8 out of 10 ("10" stands for 100% satisfaction)
Charge: 85.- Euro

Pa12

Gentlemen,

just for my own interest and because my seamstress is constantly raising her prices i'd be intrested in the money you have to invest for changes/repairs on your stuff.

I'm aware that a direct "comparison" would be difficult coz there is a lot of factors that possibly influence prices but anyway a rough guideline would maybe be interesting.

Repair: Replacement of Knittings on a G1
Quality of work: 8 out of 10 ("10" stands for 100% satisfaction)
Charge: 85.- Euro
In my experience, that’s very reasonable. Works out to 125 dollars Canadian. A tank of gas in the car.

Dany McDonald

Hello Thomas,

Fun and interesting thread!

That sounds like a good price for work on leather, especially goat, and if you are satisfied. Finding a skilled seamstress that ''gets it'' is an ongoing quest for me. But I just had work done on L-2B and its very well done. She found it more challenging than expected but was totally at ease with the restoration aspect of the overall project. I will go back with more modifications/restoration for sure.

Model/Type: L-2B
Repair: Replacement of Knittings (Collar and wristlets), one side of the zipper and some fixes here and there (Old and botched repairs)
Quality of work: 9 out of 10 ("10" stands for 100% satisfaction)
Charge: 90. - Can

D

Micawber

That's a very reasonable rate for a skilled and experienced person.

Buying and piloting a decent sewing machine and gaining the experience and knowledge to be able to turn out decent work costs both time as well as money. Material and running costs aside that is what you are paying for.

Byson Leather have a table of prices for various jobs...

Byson Leather

Prices WEF Feb1 2023

IRVINA2
Mould treatmentfit£13.10CuffsFit£33.20
Front zipfit£57.50CuffsSupply£28.30
Sleeve ziplong£57.50Cuff & waistband setSupply£56.80
Riri zip£30.60Cuff & waistband setFit£66.40
Byson DOT profile front zip£65.80WaistbandSupply£28.30
DOT arm zipshort£82.90WaistbandFit£33.20
Riri zip£15.30Clean & conditionLight£38.30
With Byson DOT profile puller£32.90Clean & conditionHeavy£63.70
YKK zip£15.30Fit zips£57.40
New bandingper inch£2.40Talon M39 (triple marked)£114.90
Seams under banding"from£3.70Talon zip M-42£71.30
"Fluff transplant"for hole£9.00Conmar M-41£63.70
Shorten cuffs with zips<2"£62.20Collarfit£25.50
Shorten cuffs with zips>2"£112.00Hook & eye£6.30
Re-make collar£65.80Re-line in cotton£178.40
Wartime Lightning zip (front)£153.70Re-line with customer provided fabric£149.20
Wartime DOT zip dt£153.70Repair patch pocket£25.50
Wartime DOT zip st£133.20Crown, M40 Chevron 1st Model, Brown Tape£160.00
Neck strap£13.10G-1
D rings & strap£15.30minFit zips£57.20
Area of stitching£6.40minCuffsfit£28.30
Mend & Patch£13.10(each side)Cuffssupply£25.40
Repair half belt£13.10Complete - buckleWaistbandfit£28.30
Make half belt£63.80Waistband doublefit£38.20
Belt loop (make & fit)£15.30Waistband singlesupply£49.30
Zip puller (make & fit)£9.00Collarfit£13.10
Hanging loop£10.30Collar£54.80
Anti-fungal treatment£38.40Conmar zip, brass, "safety pin" puller£81.50
Clean & conditionlight£51.00
Clean & conditionheavy from£63.80G3
Clean to work£13.10Make side strapper half£13.10
Condition only£19.20(each side)Buckle£13.10
Extend sleeve where cut down£43.80
Restore cuffs (ea)£27.30D1
Shorten sleeves without moving zip£62.40Make collar£54.80
Shorten sleeves moving zip£120.60
Restore waist (per foot)£109.60M422a
Rivets£6.50Waistbandfit£65.80
B3MA1
Replace straps£13.10Each.Knit collarpoa
Replace cuffs£61.50
Replace collar£82.00(fit only)Miscellany
Storage bag in cotton / Tyvec£68.20

B-Man2

Restoring a vintage jacket is only done cheaply if YOU have the ability to do the work. Otherwise you can expect to spend almost as much, or more than you paid for the jacket . Now you’ve all heard me use this analogy before . Restoring a vintage jacket is like stepping into the center of a large dark puddle of water. You never know how deep that puddle is going to be .. until you’re standing in the middle of it. Same with a jacket: For example I purchased a vintage Pritzker G-1 that I thought would just require new knits . By the time the restoration was completed it required period NOS knits, which were sewn in using the same original stitch holes, a NOS period blackened Talon zipper, new pre aged mouton collar, new elastic retraction straps for the back vents, which required the lining to be taken apart and restitched and some top notch leather restoration . Now the jacket looks like it was issued yesterday, but it almost broke the bank to bring it back into that condition. So my advice is if you want to restore a vintage jacket, have plan for what you want to do and a budget, because it can get expensive.

Spitfireace

Or get a repro. Even the best repros are just not the same. Restoring things is a labour of love. Definitely not a cost saving measure. I still have this idea that I can save money by restoring a jacket that just needs a little work. In the end though, if it's done right, you probably won't regret it.

Griffon_301

work: change of knits on G-1, knits provided by me
cost: 200 Euro

a very expensive way to get the work done, but the seamstress is based in the most expensive part of the Viennese economic food chain.

other seamstresses I had asked quoted a price of between 85 and 150 Euros, as did the above one.
but when finished, she told me that she had underestimated the work required and I think she hasn't seen such a jacket before as there are not many jacket nerds here

next project is a possible replacement of the Dynel collar on my Star G-1 with a really beautiful mouton version, the raw material of which comes from Brice.
I have heard a price quote of around 300(!) Euros from the guy who is doing the jackets for Fardin, but I will ask other seamstresses of course as well.
my two regular seamstresses are both on holidays over Christmas and the new year, so I will have some cost forecasts at the beginning of the year only...

Thomas Koehle

work: change of knits on G-1, knits provided by me
cost: 200 Euro

a very expensive way to get the work done, but the seamstress is based in the most expensive part of the Viennese economic food chain.

other seamstresses I had asked quoted a price of between 85 and 150 Euros, as did the above one.
but when finished, she told me that she had underestimated the work required and I think she hasn't seen such a jacket before as there are not many jacket nerds here

next project is a possible replacement of the Dynel collar on my Star G-1 with a really beautiful mouton version, the raw material of which comes from Brice.
I have heard a price quote of around 300(!) Euros from the guy who is doing the jackets for Fardin, but I will ask other seamstresses of course as well.
my two regular seamstresses are both on holidays over Christmas and the new year, so I will have some cost forecasts at the beginning of the year only...

WOW!

Seems like serious money to me …

So bottom line for me: shut up and stop whining and be happy with the 85.- Euro I pay per jacket …

Thomas