• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal Goatskin scuff marks

JimmyD51

Hello all,

Just wondering what color the scuff marks or leather underneath a seal goatskin jacket should be. I have some nice wear
marks from shoulder harness happening on my jacket but the marks are a reddish color. Does this have to do with the way
the leather was tanned or dyed? If the reddish color will eventually turn a light brown or tan with more exposure or wear
I would be really happy. Not to excited to see the reddish color showing up.

Thanks for the info in advance,

Jim

leper-colony

I have seen a reddish reveal under both Eastman as well as Fivestar goatskin.

If the leather gets really roughed up, you will see tan/buff.

MikeyB-17

Can vary-I’ve seen colours ranging from a horrible cardboard grey to a bright yellow which made the jacket look like an overripe banana. There’s worse undertones than red. I think it depends on the actual colour of the hide. I wouldn’t imagine the red will fade much. A lot of wartime Navy jackets had a reddish tone to the goatskin which many like.

JimmyD51

I agree Mikey. I'd rather have the reddish color than a grey or yellow coming through. I guess I'll keep
wearing it and see what happens. I really like the character the leather is developing. I used to wipe
down my jackets when they got wet from rain. Now I just rub it in and let it dry on it's own. Thanks for
the replies!

Jim

better duck

Hello all,

Just wondering what color the scuff marks or leather underneath a seal goatskin jacket should be. I have some nice wear
marks from shoulder harness happening on my jacket but the marks are a reddish color. Does this have to do with the way
the leather was tanned or dyed? If the reddish color will eventually turn a light brown or tan with more exposure or wear
I would be really happy. Not to excited to see the reddish color showing up.

Thanks for the info in advance,

Jim
The wear on my ELC M422A show reddish.

Otter

My Aero Indian goatskin shows a dull red, the 5 star a brighter red. If you are bothered by it, try and match in with some polish.