• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal Brown??

MikeyB-17

Yeah I believe that’s at the Eastman factory. Not been there myself although it’s only an hour from me (not had occasion to visit, it being fairly unlikely that I will be ordering any new ELC’s). I did go to the old place back in 1997 when I ordered my first A-2 (seal). I’m sure somebody posted that they visited there in the not too distant past?

Blackboxr1200S

From their FB page.
All shades of brown are covered.

Eastman1.jpg

Pa12

Just my opinion and I have said it before. I think the darker seal color is a much more practical option when wearing an A-2 in this day an age. The "traditional" russet brown as authentic as it is just looks like some "old man" jacket and kind of doesn't work in re general day to day wear. Of course many exceptions but a seal A-2 goes much better with "modern" clothes IMO. Hence all of those "black" Japanese A-2's - not authentic but they look cool........................
Interesting you would say that. My wife never cared for my jackets until my first “seal” one. Said she prefers the dark chocolate to milk chocolate ;)

Chandler

Thought I'd drop in my own ELC Star -- circa early 2000s. Bought second-hand off eBay. Not sure what the hide is, but I'd guess steer.

fNXMhxq.jpg

It actually looks darker in person -- near to black... and yeah, there's a lot of high point abrasion going on -- even some easy scratching.

Pa12

Thought I'd drop in my own ELC Star -- circa early 2000s. Bought second-hand off eBay. Not sure what the hide is, but I'd guess steer.

fNXMhxq.jpg

It actually looks darker in person -- near to black... and yeah, there's a lot of high point abrasion going on -- even some easy scratching.
Nice. Is it my imagination or do those cuffs look shorter then usual?

bellumbill

I appreciate all this feedback - So, I am looking at a 5* Star Sportswear - I have all various shades of russet and was thinking of getting it in a seal brown but I keep feeling like their seal brown is too dark. From reading responses here and seeing photos I believe it IS in fact too dark, so I'll need to rethink.

Best,
Bill K.

mulceber

I'm not sure if Shawn still stocks this color, but when he first got his horsehides in, he had a medium brown HH option that was in between his russet and seal colors. I think either that russet or the mid brown could work for the Star. The mid brown might be a bit too dark and the russet a bit too red, but they're not bad.
IMG_8323.jpeg

WingAndaPrayer

I appreciate all this feedback - So, I am looking at a 5* Star Sportswear - I have all various shades of russet and was thinking of getting it in a seal brown but I keep feeling like their seal brown is too dark. From reading responses here and seeing photos I believe it IS in fact too dark, so I'll need to rethink.

Best,
Bill K.
I just bought a star in mid brown horse hide. This is what it looks like indoors and outside under natural light
68F60DC7-6013-4280-A3A4-914D50272DA3.jpeg
9725B7AE-E470-49AB-A42A-4E3A8933F78F.jpeg