• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schott Issued Flight Jackets

gfinn2024

Hello,

Does anybody know what models or have examples of Schott issued flight/military jackets? They did some production during WW2, but I cannot find examples for the life of me?

Thank you,
George C

Chandler

The War Supply Contract list is organized by company, so if it’s right (full disclosure, it’s not totally complete - several of our favorite contracts are missing, for example), then Schott didn’t have any military contracts.
Gotta wonder how they feel they can throw out such BS.

I mean, I like Schott's jackets -- I even own one, but they have enough history behind them that they don't have to make shit up.

CombatWombat

I can't imagine Schott being able to pass government QC checks......
You can buy 5 of the same era of a particular model and each one will fit and be sewn differently from each other!
Disclosure: I've only owned their MC jackets, but I'm sure that oddball fitting plagues their "bomber jacket" models as well

Chandler

Let's hope that you folks research other aspects of vintage leather jackets more thoroughly, huh, lol.
You mean something like this? LOL! :rolleyes:

1998 (Schott's one contract) is far from one of the first -- let alone WW2.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Gotta wonder how they feel they can throw out such BS.
Many have done this. Remember Alpha, who spread amazing stories about themselves, according to which they invented not only the M65 but also all other jackets.
And even the highly respected W&G wrote about they first WW2 A2 contract (apparently at the instigation of Burt Avedon, who also liked to lie about his life).
Money, all for the sake of increasing sales. This is the modern world, young people believe what is written on Wikipedia and the Internet as an axiom.

B-Man2

Many have done this. Remember Alpha, who spread amazing stories about themselves, according to which they invented not only the M65 but also all other jackets.
And even the highly respected W&G wrote about they first WW2 A2 contract (apparently at the instigation of Burt Avedon, who also liked to lie about his life).
Money, all for the sake of increasing sales. This is the modern world, young people believe what is written on Wikipedia and the Internet as an axiom.
Well said Dmitry .

B-Man2

Oops...*reverse* chronological order...my bad...I stand corrected.

Still...pretty easy to find. Schott makes military contract jackets, lol.
You seem like an intelligent and nice enough guy so I’ll say this as gently as possible . I sincerely hope that you don’t take everything you read in Wikipedia as the gospel truth . If you do you’re going to find that you will often be disappointed in the accuracy of that formation . Your comment

“Let's hope that you folks research other aspects of vintage leather jackets more thoroughly, huh, lol.”

Doesn’t really set well with guys here who have been at this hobby for 40 plus years and have much more extensive knowledge about this hobby than Wikipedia does .
It would be a much wiser course of action to do your own research rather than depend on Wikipedia or to jokingly suggest that people here need to be more thorough in theirs .
Just a suggestion there new guy.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I remember It’s begin from early 2000s, and what about now? After two decades, nothing changed. :rolleyes:
I can imagine that it will be even worse, someone here has already quoted an article written by artificial intelligence about flight jackets, it would be funny if it weren’t so sad.
As for Wiki, when I was a little younger and bit dumber and sometimes got into arguments with people on some forums (not here) which I now understand I shouldn’t have done back then, so one my virtual participant once tried to teach me how to correct fly and navigate the plane, and as an main argument directed me to read Wikipedia :p. By that time I had already been flying as a captain for 5 years, but that didn’t bother him ha ha.

Shanghai-Mayne

I can imagine that it will be even worse, someone here has already quoted an article written by artificial intelligence about flight jackets, it would be funny if it weren’t so sad.
As for Wiki, when I was a little younger and bit dumber and sometimes got into arguments with people on some forums (not here) which I now understand I shouldn’t have done back then, so one my virtual participant once tried to teach me how to correct fly and navigate the plane, and as an main argument directed me to read Wikipedia :p. By that time I had already been flying as a captain for 5 years, but that didn’t bother him ha ha.
Yes, you are right, I forget it could get worse:oops:, people (or AI) starting promote AVIREX now.

entertainment

I just looked at the Rin Tanaka book on Schott--which is an excellent book. Despite lots of dancing around the topic, I could not find any explicit statement that the company had ever had a military contract. Perhaps I just missed it. There are definitely lots of military inspired jackets.