• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saying hi, and advancing a few questions...

Mandrake

Hi there, I am Carlos from Spain (actually some small islands closer to Africa than to Europe), and this is my first post in this forum. I knew nothing at all about leather flight jackets until a few weeks ago, when my brother gave me his Eastman A2...that was more than enough to trigger my curiosity and since them I have been reading a lot (and also drooling a lot.... :eek: )

I need to take some pics of the ELC my brother gave to me, as I am not 100% certain of what model it is. My brother thought (and bought it believing) it was a "Pearl Harbor" edition, but I noticed it has a Talon zip, and that does not match the info at ELC site. Is steerhide, and the label shows a 23373 contract number and does not have the "Army Air Forces" stamp anywhere...I cannot yet tell the differences from small details as epaulets or pockets, and guess the best thing is to shoot some pics and post them here, will try to do soon...Also, I think it may be slightly to big for me, I usually wear 42R UK/52 European suits/jackets (hot water treatment? Mmmm....)...

My other question is removing ballpen marks from leather (do not ask, 2 small children, enough said...)

Well, that is all for now, I'll keep reading this very interesting forum, thanks everyone for this great Forum!

Carlos

Persimmon

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing the photo's of the jacket.
The label 23373 is used in more than one A2 Eastman jacket - 50 Cal - for example but that does not have a Talon fitted either.
Perhaps it was an extra added on later by the purchaser prior to your brother.
As they say a picture says a thousand words.
Alan

Marv

The ELC PH A2 has been around for a few years and before the Crown zipper was introduced, nearly all the A2s had either repro or NoS Talon zippers.
So your could be a PH A2 with the Talon zipper, pics should clear this up though....

Mandrake

A few "quick & dirty" pics taken with the Blackberry just now (I'll try to take proper pics soon...):

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTYtMjAxMDAyMjYtMTUxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTMtMjAxMDAyMjYtMTUxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTQtMjAxMDAyMjYtMTUxN.jpg

Thanks all and regards

dujardin

soooooooooooo,
good to have a so generous bros,
jacket looks gooddddddddddd

you will for sure have explanations you need on this forum

by the way, welcome

marcel

drew parker

Welcome Carlos, About the ink marks, use a little naphtha on a rag and lightly wipe the marks off. Naphtha can be bought wherever paint is sold. It is gentle enough and won't take any color off. This is what I use to clean the leather surface before I do any painting. DO NOT use alcohol, it will pull the color off right now.

handworn

Hi Carlos! Welcome!

That's a good-looking A-2 you have there. If you're just starting with A-2s, you might want to check out the Acme Depot website if you haven't already. A great place to start.

Mandrake

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and comments. And regarding the naphta advise I asked today in a shop and had no clue what it was, I have read that lighter fluid may be similar?

MikeyB-17

Hi Carlos, which of the Canary Islands are you on-I'm assuming that's where you are? I just got back from Gran Canaria, and I loved it. Nice looking A-2, with some great hide you have there.

Mandrake

MikeyB-17 said:
Hi Carlos, which of the Canary Islands are you on-I'm assuming that's where you are? I just got back from Gran Canaria, and I loved it. Nice looking A-2, with some great hide you have there.

Hi there, In glad you liked my island, I live in Gran Canaria, hope you missed the bad weather we have had lately...

MikeyB-17

Mandrake said:
hope you missed the bad weather we have had lately...

Not entirely! We did have a bit of rain, and a thunderstorm one night, but not enough to be a problem. I got the impression the locals weren't too accustomed to rain! It is a beautiful island, I loved the mountains-we will definitely go back again. Do you get to wear your A-2 much?

Mandrake

MikeyB-17 said:
Mandrake said:
hope you missed the bad weather we have had lately...

Not entirely! We did have a bit of rain, and a thunderstorm one night, but not enough to be a problem. I got the impression the locals weren't too accustomed to rain! It is a beautiful island, I loved the mountains-we will definitely go back again. Do you get to wear your A-2 much?

Rain was not really a problem, but wind has been a nightmare lately....I do wear the A-2 quite often as live a little bit up the mountains, so it is quite chilly, not as warn as the coastline....