• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAT A2 General Frank Maxwell Andrews

oose

Hi all,

Here is a nice pic of General Frank Maxwell Andrews wearing his SAT A2

All the best
stu

Falcon_52

Great photo! One thing that I've noticed with every Security A-2 photo is how much longer the wrist knits look than the later A-2s. Maybe this is an optical illusion?

Noel

Dr H

Noel, it's broadly contemporaneous with the A-1 (well only a few years later) and strikes me as being similar in some details (comparatively narrow sleeves at forearm, stitched knit at cuff).
When you examine the images of the A-1 on the Anything and Everything A-1 thread, these also appear to have slightly longer/looser knitted cuffs than the later A-2s.

EMBLEMHUNTER

It looks like there were 2 patches there at one time, look closely at the stich lines , it looks like tow sets , man I wish he would have left at least one on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

Roughwear

It's rare to see a SAT so close up, showing all the details of this first A-2 contract. I am curious about how many of these jackets were actually made in 1932. The USAAC was very small in the early '30s and I guess the contract for SAT A2s would have been below 5000. I wonder how many SATs are still around today? I have seen modern photos of just two, one in Full Gear and the other in the Art of the Flight Jacket. Anyone know of any others?