• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saracen anyone?

Peter Graham

Leadsky said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Saracen_W0QQitemZ180310972264QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item180310972264&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Peter G, I suppose this is well before your time?
Unfortunately not. I remember well Saracens patrolling the streets of Belfast in the 70's and 80's. There was a version called the Saladin with a turret mounted 75mm gun and I have a vivid memory of a mixed convoy of maybe 30 Saracens and Saladins, all painted desert sand, roaring along a main road near my home. An impressive sight, especially to a military obsessed 10 year old boy.

MikeyB-17

I can certainly recall seeing footage of Saracens in service as a kid, although nothing of the direct experience that Peter has. Our local scrappy had about 20 of them for sale years ago-RAF St.Eval, the wartime bomber base, which is about 15 miles from me, became an MOD radio station after the War, and for some reason they parked a load of Saracens around the site, presumably as some kind of deterrent. The aforementioned scrappy obviously bought them up. He also had the front end of a Nimrod on the pile at around the same time. I wouldn't want the running costs for a Saracen-I bet they're pretty thirsty!