• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

same jacket with a makeover?????

Hawkeye

Andrews a pro when it comes to finding good ebay deals. He did well on this one, nearly doubled his money. If I remember correctly (and I may not be) the paint on the jacket was actually done recently? And I guess Andrew managed to get it off. I may be completely off it though.

joeson

I am guessing that because of the items location,and the fact that the description was all over the place,Andrew ended up being the only bidder.I must admit,whenever I see the far east as a location I just skip the page.

Andrew

This and another jacket were touted as originals but both had artwork which were copied from Maguires, and poorly executed at that. Both had cheap BIN's which also raised suspicion.

He has done a great service to that jacket and it's a vast improvement- I wonder if there's any evidence of the paint...

That leather looks fabulous too.

jacketimp

Leadsky said:
This and another jacket were touted as originals but both had artwork which were copied from Maguires, and poorly executed at that. Both had cheap BIN's which also raised suspicion.

He has done a great service to that jacket and it's a vast improvement- I wonder if there's any evidence of the paint...

That leather looks fabulous too.

leadsky, just wondering how does one remove paintwork from a jacket....I'm inspired!

Andrew

That's a question for Andrew Swatland- i'm a different Andrew!

I imagine that it would depend on the type of paint used. If it was acrylics (plastic) which is most common these days i'm sure it's not too difficult, but I would expect there'd still be some tell tale signs left?!

What did you do AS?

jacketimp

Leadsky said:
That's a question for Andrew Swatland- i'm a different Andrew!

I imagine that it would depend on the type of paint used. If it was acrylics (plastic) which is most common these days i'm sure it's not too difficult, but I would expect there'd still be some tell tale signs left?!

What did you do AS?

sorry, didn't realise there were two different andrews!

Roughwear

This United Sheeplined jacket has had a make-over! Yes I removed the paint quite easily by scraping it off, which took about an hour or so. I replaced the wrist knits, which were poor replacements and tidied up the neck which had an unnecessary strip sewn on to it. Although I made a profit on this jacket it was bought cheaply and sold for a fair price taking into account the work put into it.

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
This United Sheeplined jacket has had a make-over! Yes I removed the paint quite easily by scraping it off, which took about an hour or so. I replaced the wrist knits, which were poor replacements and tidied up the neck which had an unnecessary strip sewn on to it. Although I made a profit on this jacket it was bought cheaply and sold for a fair price taking into account the work put into it.

so glad to make your acquaintance andrew!

no no no.....no one should begrudge you for making a profit. Like you said there was labour involved. Not forgetting materials.I think it was the label and knits?

thanks for sharing your tip on removing the paint.

I'm new to jackets and that was my question: I thought that those two were the same jacket and thanks to the replies of the forum members and your kind self I got the answer I was seeking in the first place.

since you had first hand experience of the united and it from a different part of the world would you say that it's an original?

Thanks!

Roughwear

jacketimp said:
Roughwear said:

so glad to make your acquaintance andrew!

no no no.....no one should begrudge you for making a profit. Like you said there was labour involved. Not forgetting materials.I think it was the label and knits?

thanks for sharing your tip on removing the paint.

I'm new to jackets and that was my question: I thought that those two were the same jacket and thanks to the replies of the forum members and your kind self I got the answer I was seeking in the first place.

since you had first hand experience of the united and it from a different part of the world would you say that it's an original?

Thanks!

The jacket was made in 1942 and has its original Crown zip, AM stamp and size 42 pocket tag! So yes an original!

jacketimp

The jacket was made in 1942 and has its original Crown zip, AM stamp and size 42 pocket tag! So yes an original![/quote]

i see.........

fishmeok

Looks great Andrew- I've been learning the hard way about replacing linings lately. Repairing originals is tedius but rewarding.
Cheers
Mark

Roughwear

fishmeok said:
Looks great Andrew- I've been learning the hard way about replacing linings lately. Repairing originals is tedius but rewarding.
Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark. I have an original RW 27752 in a size 44 on the way which needs new knits so I will busy again!

Members online

Latest posts