• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sam walker's copy of aero highwayman size 46, black £75 BIN!

m444uk

HHjackets said:
this website is a directory and gets products offered by other sites, aero for example and turns the £ to $. that sam walker in size 36 was actually on aero website for £125, i remember it.

http://www.dailytrader.com/wholesalers_ ... 70104.html
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/weba ... rodid=3010

http://www.dailytrader.com/wholesalers_ ... 70107.html
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/weba ... prodid=986

So, have Aero listed stuff from their website there, or is it just a trawl of currently advertised stuff on the web ?
The 1:1 exchange rate is a bit unfortunate !

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
m444uk said:
Do Aero make the Sam Walker stuff or have they bought up a bankrupt stock job lot ?

I have one of the Sam Walker Highwaymans, and I believe that Aero made it, though I've had some opposition in previous posts.

Aero still have several examples on sale, in a variety of styles, and with the similar to Aero, Sam Walker label .... I assume that it's the last of the stock, now that Sam Walker has closed.

HHjackets

m444uk said:
So, have Aero listed stuff from their website there, or is it just a trawl of currently advertised stuff on the web ?

id say it's the latter rather than the former.
they couldn't list a £1000 jacket on their site
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/weba ... prodid=986
and list it again for $1000 in the other site!
http://www.dailytrader.com/wholesalers_ ... 70107.html

deeb7 said:
m444uk said:
Do Aero make the Sam Walker stuff or have they bought up a bankrupt stock job lot ?

I have one of the Sam Walker Highwaymans, and I believe that Aero made it, though I've had some opposition in previous posts.

Aero still have several examples on sale, in a variety of styles, and with the similar to Aero, Sam Walker label .... I assume that it's the last of the stock, now that Sam Walker has closed.

as far as i know, the sam walker shop in covent garden did stock aero jackets at some point, used and new. i was told by someone who bought his highwayman from sam walker, if they wanted, they could bring back their jacket after wearing them and get a new one! obviously there was demand for worn, broken aero jackets. im pretty sure once i saw an aero highwayman jacket with the white tag inside the pocket saying made for sam walker. i guess they kept track of those made for sam walker.
but then sam walker started copying some of the aero jackets and putting their own label on them, highwayman, halfbelt, vest de rallye etc. i haven't seen sam walker a2 or motorcycle jackets

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
HHjackets said:
..... but then sam walker started copying some of the aero jackets and putting their own label on them, highwayman, halfbelt, vest de rallye etc. i haven't seen sam walker a2 or motorcycle jackets

Do you have evidence to support this statement, or perhaps a source? I still find it unlikely, but it's something I'm keen to resolve.

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
HHjackets said:
..... but then sam walker started copying some of the aero jackets and putting their own label on them, highwayman, halfbelt, vest de rallye etc. i haven't seen sam walker a2 or motorcycle jackets

Do you have evidence to support this statement, or perhaps a source? I still find it unlikely, but it's something I'm keen to resolve.

In order to find an seemingly indisputable source..you'd need to search the archives of the Classic 20th forum...I suppose..or contact Aero directly and perhaps talk to Will. All I remember was Ken Calder stating the fact that his relationship with Sam Walker soured when they started duplicating Aero's jackets. Right from the horses mouth....
Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Vcruiser said:
In order to find an seemingly indisputable source..you'd need to search the archives of the Classic 20th forum...I suppose.

Thanks, Van .... I tried that last time, it's members only.

All I remember was Ken Calder stating the fact that his relationship with Sam Walker soured when they started duplicating Aero's jackets.

Yet here they are, happily selling the product.

HHjackets

deeb7 said:
HHjackets said:

if i remember correctly, once when when i was talking to Will, he told me that sam walker started copying the aero jackets.

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
Vcruiser said:
In order to find an seemingly indisputable source..you'd need to search the archives of the Classic 20th forum...I suppose.

Thanks, Van .... I tried that last time, it's members only.

All I remember was Ken Calder stating the fact that his relationship with Sam Walker soured when they started duplicating Aero's jackets.

Yet here they are, happily selling the product.

David...
I am trying to copy several posts from Theclassictwentieth confirming my statements...but my computer is running so slow this morning that it isn't easy. I do hope this is appropiate! Stay tuned... Van

RE: [TheClassic20th] Re: Pirate Highwayman

Adam

I've never seen a US Horsehide that looked like a Highwayman, no more like one than some of the Oxfors St copies anyway. We based the jacket on the old 50's British Rockers/Sid Vicious "Highwayman" (made by Lewis maybe?) see Rin Tanaka's book....and then fiddled, tweaked and Americanised the styling and make-up
Ended up looking as different from the first sample jacket in 1983 to the final style we make today, as Michael Jackson does from the Jackson Five days to today....or put it another way
Looks as different as the Scotland X1 circa 1967 does when compared to our 2002 team, but in the case of the Highwayman at least we've gone in the right direction

Ken

PS May I add the following........"What an absoloute piece of sh*t Sam Walkers Jackets are.......... I'd sooner wear an Eastman!"
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 4:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [TheClassic20th] Re: Pirate Highwayman

--- In TheClassic20th@y..., "aerolthrusa" <AeroLthrUSA@a...>
wrote:
> --- In TheClassic20th@y..., "hpalapdog" <m444uk@a...> wrote:
> > Surprised to see one of these Stateside the Sam Walker
shop is
> > in London.
> >
> >
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... m=21326446
> > 95
> >
> > adam
>
> Hi Adam
>
> Is that one of ours, relabeled?
>
> Mark
> Aero Leather USA

No Mark they make them in London from what I understand.In
fact the shop is full of jackets copied from various Transatlantic
Aero styles,a completely pointless exercise for the consumer as
the copies are more expensive than the Aero originals.Mind you
the true originals are vintage of course,horsehide jackets very
similar to the Aero Highwayman can be found on Ebay etc.with a
bit of searching.

adam

Vcruiser

Re: Aero Clone ??

--- In TheClassic20th@y..., "aeroleather" <aero.leather@v...> wrote:
> --- In TheClassic20th@y..., "aaronspalton" <m442a@h...> wrote:
> > Hello ken,
> >
> > Out shopping today I came across a shop called sam west in
central
> > london.They sell a jacket that looks just like the highwayman.Its
> > made of steer in black,cordovan and brown and called I think air
> > togs,do you in fact make them ?I asked the guy and he said they
> > copied the aero highwayman and got them made in east London !It
> looks
> > like an aero product apart from the large brass talon zip.
> >
> > Aaron
>
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Could it be Sam Walker?? or perhaps they've changed their name.
> This place is a seriously dodgy store, they've passed of these in
the
> past as made for them by Aero, obviously a close examination is all
> it takes to spot the difference, They also were the first outfit in
> the UK to use Daisyhide for their "Horse" jackets,
> Sam Walker used to stock Aero in a big way in the early 90's, but
> when we caught them parallel trading our jackets in Japan we
stopped
> supplying them.
> We'd put a clause in their contract that sales to Japan weren't on,
> and knew we wouldn't stand for it.
> Their answer was to copy every jacket we made, reprint their
> catalogue swaping Aero Logos for Sam Walker and changing the style
> names i.e Highwayman / Highwayrider, Longshoremam / Dockshoreman,
> Barnstormer / Barnflier, etc etc
> Nice folk :>)
>
> Ken

Aaron/Ken/All,

Yep it's still called Sam Walker.Their in the street opposite
American Classics in Covent Garden.Its another case, I'm afraid to
say, of a copy costing more than the original.Even their "sale"
prices are higher than the Aero originals they are copied from !
I'm surprized Ken hasn't paid them a visit with a couple of Glasgow
heavies in tow.Bring down a wicker man,put them in, and I imagine you
could get a nice warm inferno going.

adam

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Wow ... thanks so much for the research, Van. I get the impression that there's more to this story behind the scenes, especially with Aero now selling off the product.

It still leaves me with questions, but the cherry red, Sam Walker Highwayman, can now join my BR MA-1 with the too short sleeves ... on my sales rack.

m444uk

deeb7 said:
Wow ... thanks so much for the research, Van. I get the impression that there's more to this story behind the scenes, especially with Aero now selling off the product.

It still leaves me with questions, but the cherry red, Sam Walker Highwayman, can now join my BR MA-1 with the too short sleeves ... on my sales rack.

Well, your Sam Walker jacket maybe one of those made by Aero.
Van's cut and paste includes a couple of posts by me signed adam from 2002.
I only visited Walker's shop once and at that time they appeared to sell only copies.
I don't know if Aero resumed supply when Ken Calder left Aero but if you
email a photo to the Calder's shop on ebay they may be able to tell who made it.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/the-original-thr ... ksid=p3686

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Thanks, Adam ... good idea.

And thanks for the link .... 5000 feedback, I hadn't realised just how much The Thrift Shop were so back into it.

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:

Well..I certainly didn't want to pass along misinformation..but for some reason..recollection of that bit of discussion seemed to stick with me. Of course Ken wasn't much of one to mince words...but I do think some of those opinions can be taken with a grain of salt.
I'm sure that there is more to the story...the rest of the story. However,I don't recall anymore details discussed or revealed. Don't know if I'd dump a jacket just because of this critique,though. If you like it and consider that it's put together well enough..then that's what counts,afterall. When loyaltist see thier favorite being replicated..perhaps unfairly...they may tend to throw unfavorable judgements around,ya know. We've seen it before.....
Van