• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salute the Wonky - show us the wonky stitching etc on your original jacket

Silver Surfer

most of the original pre war a-2s that I have handled or seen have been made very well in terms of sizing, hide match [smooth panel on the front, grainy on the back, as the preferred hide was the smooth stuff], stitching dying, etc. as wwll unfolded many more jackets were required by the aaf. thus more stitching machine operators were required, and it would seem that some were somewhat untrained, and learned on the job. even so, a lot of these odd ball, one off jackets were approved by the aaf inspectors. perhaps demand trumped quality work, or the inspectors were easy with their stamps. about the only thing I haven't seen, is a pocket stitched to the back of an a-2.....doesnt mean that it may have happened, though.

Last edited:

Wz1999

Monarch A-2 Zipper
054DFC6C-D3B9-479D-839A-096D7ED8F729.jpeg

B-Man2

Last edited:

dinomartino1

G-1s with linings that were incorrectly matched to their needed size, ie too short.
This B-G 1950 contract, it has the effect ofmaking the waistband tight and bunching up the back panel, on the back it's easy to see, on this size 46 the waistband fits like a 40.
Maverickson went out of is way to tell me a lot about this jacket when I first got it and it's something he has come across before.
If I was ever to get a new jacket again in that price range there's nobody else I would ever consider buying a navy jacket from but him because of his love and knowledge for them.

P1020676.JPG

P1020672-2.JPG

dinomartino1

It is something that does not bother me I don't wear that jacket but this is how Maverickson fixed one his own jackets with the same problem. He had other work to do on the jacket but interesting to see a G-1 taken apart

Replacement Lower Back Panel Lining.jpg

B.G. INC. Original Lining.jpg

Wrinkle Memory At Waistband Seam.jpg

B-G's Corrected Waist Band.jpg

JonnyCrow

What I find humorous is ……. That there probably wasn’t another person in all of WWII who would have noticed or cared about this wonky stitching …… but we as a group, to include myself …. search it out and analyze it ….:D
Now you gotta admit there’s a strange humor in that !
Haha Burt end of the daybit was work clothing, nice looking but work clothing, I wish I still had pics of the right pocket flap on my Perry, flap was stitched about 2 or 3 inches over towards the side seam haha

JonnyCrow

Reviving this old thread about factory faults, I think Jeff, Zu even mentioned blank stitch holes, well here's my original Aero pocket flap, both sides

Attachments

• 20230922_060457.jpg
    20230922_060457.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230922_060530.jpg
    20230922_060530.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56