• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saigon Cowboy Hat

herk115

I just purchased a "Saigon Cowboy Hat" from What Price Glory. It looks like the real thing in their photos, but I have no way of knowing how true to history it is. I've looked at historical pictures and I see that the top of the WPG hat is fairly round, while the historical (Vietnam era) hats have a well made "cowboy crush" in them. Does anyone know if this "crush is something I can put in the hat myself, or have I been taken to the cleaners with a less than accurate hat by WPG. Not accusing them of anything, just want to know. I mean, I may live in Bakersfield and drive a pickup truck, but I'm not a redneck or a cowboy and have never owned a cowboy hat. So any guidance anyone can give me about crushing the hat will be greatly appreciated. I'll post a picture when it gets here. In the meantime, take a look at this picture from the Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association and you'll see what I mean about the shaping of the top of the hat.
1 RRVFPA.jpg

Pilot

I believe its called Air Commando hat.
Yes it looks very similar to the French Chapeau de Brousse ( bush hat ) from the Indochina/Algeria war.. but a bit more formal and not as floppy.
Some more photos here.
Saw them for sale on several place.
Just for info.
Even in Vietnam originals could still be found in the 1990s. Now only copies/repros.
IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg

Monsoon

I believe its called Air Commando hat.
Yes it looks very similar to the French Chapeau de Brousse ( bush hat ) from the Indochina/Algeria war.. but a bit more formal and not as floppy.
Some more photos here.
Saw them for sale on several place.
Just for info.
Even in Vietnam originals could still be found in the 1990s. Now only copies/repros.
View attachment 147445View attachment 147447View attachment 147447
That first group photo in front of the C-123s is the squadron that flew Operation Ranch Hand. "Only We Can Prevent Forests"

Members online

Latest posts