• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sage knits on L-2A possible?

deand

Does anyone think it's possible that a set of sage knits would have been used on an L-2A to replace the original blue knits, say if they were worn out, or...could an L-2A have been manufactured with sage knits during the transition phase from blue to sage for the nylon to use up stocks of blu nylon. I know there were L-2As with O. D. knits. Just curious.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I don't believe they were ever issued that way, but I think it's almost certain they were used as replacements.

... and it's a great look, I'm looking forward to the Buzz version. :cool:

deand

Thanks, David, I'm almost finished with my own version! I'll post some pics and details when it's done. I used an Alpha 1990's repro I got from Mark a few years ago before I was a VLJ member, and some knits from a very inexpensive MA-1 ebay buy from about the same time. I decided to just get out the thread and needle and go at it! By hand. Which is very slow.

dean

Atticus

deand said:
Does anyone think it's possible that a set of sage knits would have been used on an L-2A to replace the original blue knits, say if they were worn out...?
Dean, such an animal actually exists in the wild. Check out Buzz Aldrin in Korea. In the past, this photo has sparked some interesting debate on VLJ. Some are of the opinion that Buzz's jacket may have been issued to him with proper blue knits that soon faded to sage or green. Years ago, a former forum member disassembled an L-2A with sage cuffs and found blue roots behind the stitch line. I remember the former member very well. I considered him a friend and still think he knew more about nylon than any of us. And I may even remember the photos he did of the L-2A restoration. I just can't remember well enough to testify about it. And Jim or one of the other lawyers here might object to the hearsay if I did.

PadTime-1.jpg

On the other hand, I think Buzz's knits were period replacements. Below is a photo of my N-2A. These old, mil spec, green cuffs were on the jacket when I bought it. I doubt the seller went to the effort to put them there. I think they, too, are period replacements. I think in the fifties and sixties, green replacement cuffs gradually became more available in the supply chain as blue ones gradually became less available. So green ones were used as necessary.

spookyeyes002.jpg

AF

Weasel_Loader

Atticus said:
Dean, such an animal actually exists in the wild. Check out Buzz Aldrin in Korea. In the past, this photo has sparked some interesting debate on VLJ. Some are of the opinion that Buzz's jacket may have been issued to him with proper blue knits that soon faded to sage or green. Years ago, a former forum member disassembled an L-2A with sage cuffs and found blue roots behind the stitch line. I remember the former member very well. I considered him a friend and still think he knew more about nylon than any of us. And I may even remember the photos he did of the L-2A restoration. I just can't remember well enough to testify about it. And Jim or one of the other lawyers here might object to the hearsay if I did.

PadTime-1.jpg

AF

Geoff, are you sure that's Buzz? Doesn't look like him, but might be mistaken. Here is the photo I have of Buzz in Korea.

BTW, I actually love the look for sage knits on blue. Anybody else?

BuzzEarly.jpg

Rutger

Huh, blue fading to sage or green?
With no practical knowledge related to the fading of cuffs on fifties USAF blue nylon jackets my guess is still that it would never fade to sage or green but rather to a somewhat lighter worn blue.

Rakuten international shows a couple combinations when searching on L-2A.
Sage looks good, OD is terrible with dark blue.

The other day there was a brand new Buzz B-10 on ebay-switzerland with cuffs and waist of an A-2 (I think) and it looked great. Pics are on HPA.

Rutger

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Rutger said:
Huh, blue fading to sage or green?
With no practical knowledge related to the fading of cuffs on fifties USAF blue nylon jackets my guess is still that it would never fade to sage or green but rather to a somewhat lighter worn blue.

Fading is perhaps the wrong word, but yes, the blue changes to green, with the L-2A it's usually the Superior Togs contract.

deand

Thanks for all the input, guys! I like the way it's looking. I have one cuff knit to go, halfway finished, then seal up the waist knit and overstitching the entire set. Really, I use the remnant stitch holes and it looks pretty good to me. Exact thread matching, not so much, but I figure if it was a field replacement, they'd use what they had. Now, if only a had the proper machine and skill to use it...

dean

dmar836

I currently reattaching a loose pocket flap on a MA-1 and man there's just about no way in there. They obviously stitched their way out!
l

deand

I'm going out through a pocket. ;) Pull everything through and then reseal the inner part, near the mouth of the pocket. At least that's the plan.

dean

watchmanjimg

One of my original B-15D Modifieds has white stitching around the knit collar as well as along the rear waist seam. I can only conclude that the riggers used the rear seam as their point of entry for replacing knits. In fact, the Buzz repro B-15C Mod I once owned had the white thread as I described. The pocket work Dave mentioned appears to be a whole other story. I'll bet it's quite a task!