• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddlery vs Cooper Ramblings

FtrPlt

Curious if anyone knows (or even pondered) why USAF contract A-2s have Cooper on the spec tag but Saddlery labels while the USN G-1s are Coopers for both?

The non-issue versions sport the orange or blue Cooper tags.

Slightly different question:
Does anyone know definitively if either the A-2s or G-1s had a flame retardent finish applied (but presumably not the orange/blue tagged jackets)?

I was issued my A-2 in the early 90s and, at that time, it was not authorized for flying. I think it was ultimately ok’d for flight use but suspect this was probably late 90s, if not later.

So, I question the ‘flame resistant’ coating. Leather doesnt burn. It shrinks (hence why the nomex gloves were introduced). So why would a not-for-flight garment require such a coating?

Erwin

Hey,

I have never heard that mil-spec G1 leather had any flame retardant finish applied. This doesn't make sense in my opinion, also G1 specification doesn't mention this feature [http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-J/MIL-J-7823E_9437/]. Try to find a MIL-SPEC for a USAF leather jacket if this mentions any sort of flame-retardant finish/coating.
Leather doesnt burn
Well, it does, up to temperature and a few other factors.

FtrPlt

I suspect the ‘flame retardent finish’ probably was a theory to explain the finish differences between some jackets. My first issued jacket has a matte finish which is identical to my 1985 orange tag Cooper.

I got another jacket a few years later which had a very wet-looking, shiny finish. Just a different leather batch, IMO