• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rumour or fact

RCSignals

Someone sent this to me that they snipped posted somewhere else.

Any one heard of this? Collectors just keep it a secret?

Western Costumes bought the entire war department surplus of A2's in 1943 and then again in 1945? There are thousands of them preserved in Burbank. Not costume pieces - the real jackets. THOUSANDS. I've been there. I've had the privilege of examining the collection.

Dr H

Blimey...are they stored in the hanger along with the lost ark? Or is it a Mulder and Scully moment?! :lol:

RCSignals

That first line in the quote should be preceded by "Were you aware that" .
Just so the question mark doesn't seem out of place.

A

Anonymous

Ok guys I will get the address and do a detailed analysis on the security systems. I will need a driver, look out, and three other guys to load the jackets. Code words " lets steal the F**king jackets.

Chris217

Me and some of my associates would like to assist you in this..
goodfellas.jpg

ghq1

http://www.indygear.com/igjacket-RotLA.html

The pertinent section:

"The only leather jackets presented by Western Costumes to Nadoolman were historically accurate World War II-style A2s, which WC carried in its inventory. The A2 design did not satisfy the requirements for Indy. Western Costumes did not provide any finished jackets in leather, only the cloth mock-up. By this time, the leading man was changed from Selleck to Harrison Ford, and Nadoolman and Kimball left for London. The Wilson’s jackets and the cloth mock-up went with them. The final production jackets for Indy would ultimately be obtained through Berman and Nathans "

RCSignals

that's if one can believe that. but

historically accurate World War II-style A2s, which WC carried in its inventory.

reads alike 'reproduction'

and isn't the same as

Western Costumes bought the entire war department surplus of A2's in 1943 and then again in 1945? There are thousands of them preserved in Burbank. Not costume pieces - the real jackets. THOUSANDS.

chitchat said:
Ok guys I will get the address and do a detailed analysis on the security systems. I will need a driver, look out, and three other guys to load the jackets. Code words " lets steal the F**king jackets.
Count me in!

A

Anonymous

I'll take one from a truck yard, and replace the license plates. The location is 11041 Vanowen ST North Hollywood. I will keep you guys posted. The good thing is we won't get busted by the cops trying to sell the goods, we keep them.

johnwayne

Sounds like the stories we've read of crated complete Spitfires with greased packed spares in a cave in Australia - strangley they've yet to surface unless some lucky unscrupulous person has them somewhere!
But just imagine if it were true though? Great in some respects but any of us with decent originals might see their value plummet somewhat and messrs John Chapman and Gary Eastman would be twiddling their thumbs although I suspect Ebay might be busy!!

Cheers
Wayne

Andrew

johnwayne said:
Sounds like the stories we've read of crated complete Spitfires with greased packed spares in a cave in Australia - strangley they've yet to surface unless some lucky unscrupulous person has them somewhere!

Oh I found all those last year- didn't you hear? I've still got one or two left if you want one, funnily enough they all sold to the UK, just like almost every other Aussie Spit.

capt71

chitchat said:
Better hurry!! I heard that WC had gotten wind of this thread (from an undisclosed source) and are planning to move them all to Area 51.... :cool:

A

Anonymous

is this from the same guy who says he 'inspected' a stunt jacket from a movie we all know?

A

Anonymous

I hear he is giving expert opinion on other matters as well
You will be interested to read.

There are a LOT of things said on the Fedora Lounge that are bull... Not sure why that's some "source of authority"...

Going back to the years between WWI and WWII, the army and navy were developing flight jackets. As usual, the Navy had deeper pockets. As such, the M422, M422a, various ANJ's, and finally the G1's ALL were made from goatskin. It was and is a superior leather. It is thinner but stronger than cow, steer, horse and lamb - its competitors at the time.

The Army went with whatever leather the vendors could get the cheapest. No leather was designated. If somebody tells you one was, they're full of it. Jacket makers used the cheapest leather they could get. Usually, it was horse. As internal combustion became the dominant energy source for harvesting crops, the rending plants were crowded with horses. Steer (cow) was also used. Sometimes goatskin.

I've also read "experts" on the Fedora Lounge refer to the 1931 "pattern" for the A2. There has never been a pattern. Never. The proliferation of similar designs came from early prototypes of a very simple jacket.

While I'm at it? Mil spec? It's talked about like it means something. It means NOTHING. It's a term used to buffalo people who don't know any better into thinking there is some master list of specifications used for military applications. There ain't...

'buffalo people' huh???

RCSignals

A few years back Western costumes did sell off may of it's older costumes. Some of it was on eBay.
If "thousands" or even hundreds of original A-2s had been with them, even if not on eBay, it would be widely known. As most of you I'm skeptical of the story, but sometimes with such 'legends' there is some spark of truth.
Is there any person local to Western costumes who can do some investigating?
It would be nice to know if it's true Western Costumes bought some during at the end of WW2, and if they still retain some. The whole stock of surplus A-2s seems far fetched, as does having THOUSANDS today, however buying some and having a few may be realistic.

There have been enough discussions here wondering why some A-2s in older movies do not look to be accurate. If Western Costumes has THOUSANDS today one has ot wonder why orders for reproduction jackets have been made for more recent movies.

unclegrumpy

Back in about plus or minus 1980, a guy I knew who worked at Western Costume and gave me a tour through their work and storage areas. We did not go everywhere, but spent a lot of time poking around the places the military related items where. Back then, they were working on doing a major purge, and a lot was going into the dumpster, but they were also putting considerable thought into what they might need in the future.

Most of what was possibly heading out was material that was old, small sized or had condition problems....which much had from years of being cooked or eaten in poor storage conditions. Most also was from movies from 1960 or before, that were either shot in black and white or technicolor, which hid a lot of condition issues or prop department enhancements.

As far as the thousands of A-2's, I did not see them. What I did see was a rack area with maybe forty to sixty feet of rack space with mostly leather jackets on it. It was a mix of everything, real and modern, including maybe 15 or 20 A-2's in various levels of condition. I remember there was only a couple that had anything much on them, and the vast majority were rather average or beat.

Maybe there was a secret air conditioned underground vault were all the good A-2's were stored, but clearly I did not have the clearance level to see it. I did see plenty of original Civil War, Indian War and World War One era uniforms that were rotting away on the racks. It would make a lot of sense that they would leave these things to go to hell, and put the $75 leather jackets away for the future....$75 was the price back then for a nice average sized original A-2.

Anyway, at that time, they were not selling anything....I asked. I did leave with a few old books that were on a garbage pile and a box of buttons and insignia that had been cut off some of the uniforms that had already been tossed. It was a really fun day, and a neat memory to revisit.